Thread: Remote Connection

Remote Connection

Hi,

How can I copy the data of a specific workstation remotely? I read something like connecting from a remote workstation to the target drive in a slave mode. But I don't grasp this concept "slave mode"?

How can I do it using Windows and Linux? Which tools that are available for this project?

Thanks for you help!

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by aak View Post
    How can I copy the data of a specific workstation remotely? I read something like connecting from a remote workstation to the target drive in a slave mode. But I don't grasp this concept "slave mode"?
    It's a Mac feature:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661

How can I do it using Windows and Linux? Which tools that are available for this project?
    Windows, use \\somemachine\c$ and connect using an administrative account.

Linux/*nix, use ssh/scp/sftp.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    I think he means copying over RDP ...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hey SirDice, sorry but I am trying to copy the data of remote machine from my PC (both PCs and not MACs) I was going to use Ghost but never tried to connect using the network! Any advice or suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by aak View Post
    Hey SirDice, sorry but I am trying to copy the data of remote machine from my PC (both PCs and not MACs) I was going to use Ghost but never tried to connect using the network! Any advice or suggestions?
    One very easy solution would be setting up an FTP server on the Linux machine and just downloading and uploading the files. This is how I do my back ups all over every machine on my network. Basically I have one older machine running Slackware and VSFTPd, and then the two laptops and 7 Desktops can all upload and download stuff needed from there. I just popped in a huge HD with the one it already had, formatted the thing and popped the thing in / and made it read and write from everyone so my Wife and I can upload a back up of important stuff to the machine, and use it for storage, and then if I format a machine, or I need to make a copy where I want something important to be stored on EVERY disk I have, I just download it.

Hi,

Hey SirDice, sorry but I am trying to copy the data of remote machine from my PC
    Ah! does that mean that you want to remotely manage the other machine from your PC and download stuff to it?

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Bump ... what I said :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I use the same solution as gore, but if you're talking about a situation where you're not on the same local network and if you're using Windows (I'll guess that you are), you'd also have to either have a static IP address to connect to the remote machine or use dynamic DNS (DDNS) in order to connect to your machine. You'd also have to set up port forwarding for FTP in a router.

Fortunately for you, setting up DDNS and port forwarding is made fairly simple in most routers now. (I'll assume you'll use DDNS since static IP's often cost $).

Outline:
    1) Set up an FTP server on the machine you need to access remotely.
    2) Set up DHCP reservation (in the router) for this machine.
    3) Set up port forwarding (also in the router) for this machine.
    4) Create a DDNS account (third party website, usually free...mileage may vary).
    5) Configure your router for this DDNS server.

1) A popular FTP server for windows is filezilla. You can download it here. Google around for instructions on setting it up.
    2) Set up DHCP reservation. To do this you'll need the MAC address of your machine, then you'll browse to the router configuration page using IE or Firefox or whatever. If you're using a linksys or netgear it might look something like 192.168.0.1. (You'll need to Google around for this too in order to retrieve the default username/password). Navigate to "DHCP" and configure the router so that the machine you'll be running the server on will always have the same IP address reserved for it (like 192.168.0.4 or .104 or something depending on how DHCP is set up).
    3) Set up port forwarding. While still in the router configuration page, browse to set up "port forwarding". You'll want to forward FTP traffic (TCP port 21) to the address you reserved for your "server" machine. Don't close the browser yet because we'll still have to configure the router for one more thing.
    4) Set up a DDNS account (in lieu of a static IP address). You can do this for free several different places. I use http://www.dyndns.com/.
    5) Reopen your browser with the router configuration page and hunt for "ddns". Generally you can select your DDNS provider from a drop down menu. I can almost guarantee that dyndns will be among them. You'll have to input your username/password and the router will be configured to automatically send its current IP address to this server. Now you can browse to the domain you set up at dyndns from anywhere and you'll be redirected to your FTP server.

Finally, you'll need an FTP client if you don't intend to use firefox or something so you can browse to your newly created domain and connect to your FTP server.

Provided nothing else is blocking the traffic (some ISP modems block port 21 incoming traffic) you should be home free.

Quote Originally Posted by Cider View Post
    Bump ... what I said :P
    Yep in windows.. Remote desktop - but if not the Pro versions or it is an XP to Vista, to Win7, or XPhe, or 2k3 or 2k8
    you do have the VNC's or apps like Teamviewer..

That takes care of local or remote site:

On LAN.. and we are talking Windows based.. you do have good old "File sharing" ... domain policy may prohibit.. but if your god you have would be playing with RDP anyway..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr