Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC VS Workstation

I noticed all those systems you guys posted only have 1 harddrive in the system. Bad enough to have both the system and personal files resting on the same partition. I also noticed Dell was brave enough to post Blue-screen-of-death comments in their forums. Tells me that those folks did not write those comments on their $10,000 lemon.

Would it not be cheaper to clone their specs, buy a high-end motherboard and raid the rig to secure your investment?

I believe Gore wants an out-dated system with a cool looking case that can heat the whole room.
    Last edited by Linen0ise; September 5th, 2009 at 06:50 PM.

I think that this whole discussion is slightly skewed.

Back in the day, you had a "terminal" or a "workstation".............modern PC technology has rendered this pretty irrelevant, other than for large corporate hardware investments.

Home computing has always been different anyways IMHO.

EDIT:

I noticed all those systems you guys posted only have 1 harddrive in the system.
    And don't forget redundant power supply and UPS?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    I think that this whole discussion is slightly skewed.

Back in the day, you had a "terminal" or a "workstation".............modern PC technology has rendered this pretty irrelevant, other than for large corporate hardware investments.
    Im oldschool also. I define workstations to be servers designed to also be interactive with the console user. It must be raided and also have a backup solutions like tape backup. I didn't see tapebackup anywhere on those pricey machines. I assume they want you to backup your terrabye of stuff to DVD's

It can use network storage and clustering atwill. A turn-key system type of system.... a computer setup for complete CAD and computer setup for programming and debugging
    Last edited by Linen0ise; September 8th, 2009 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linen0ise View Post
    Im oldschool also. I define workstations to be servers designed to also be interactive with the console user. It must be raided and also have a backup solutions like tape backup. I didn't see tapebackup anywhere on those pricey machines. I assume they want you to backup your terrabye of stuff to DVD's

It can use network storage and clustering atwill. A turn-key system type of system.... a computer setup for complete CAD and computer setup for programming and debugging
    You're forgetting Hollywood Special FX, which for a long time were done on SGI machines. SGI was one of the very first Unix vendors to have a GUI standard.

Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    You're forgetting Hollywood Special FX, which for a long time were done on SGI machines. SGI was one of the very first Unix vendors to have a GUI standard.
    Yeah, I know.... you are old school. this is 2009, you can botnet alot of machines to make a simple movie scene. our supercomputers cant speak to aliens or wonder why things get diabled.

I think most people call it a cluster instead of botnet. Like in The Matrix, that was made on a FreeBSD cluster. The "Bastardization" of The Matrix made a joke about it being made later on an SGI box, and they had to add a note saying it was actually done with FreeBSD.

If you haven't seen the Bastardizations of movies, look them up, they're great. I have the one for "Hackers" saved because it's so funny. Basically they take a bunch of screen shots from the movie, and add in a new plot and words said by the people on screen, and it's pretty funny. Just don't look at them at work or school if you have "uppity" people like teachers or bosses, because they don't exactly hold back.

http://attrition.org/archive/www.detonate.net/hackers/

This is a shot:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gore; September 9th, 2009 at 03:17 AM.