Thread: vipre antivirus-antispyware

Hybrid View

vipre antivirus-antispyware

for years i have been looking for a anti virus for people that have older computers , one that doesnt take up a bunch of resources when running on older machines . i recently tested vipre anti virus -anti spyware by sunbelt it had low impact on system resources and was easy to use ,it caught everything i threw at it and ,my only beef is it can work a little too well and doesn't allow you to exclude stuff picked up by resident protection , only the scanner itself. they have an internet security suite as well but haven't tested it so cant really render a recommendation at this time . for those of you that can check it out tell me what you think

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Sorry but what do you consider "older" computers. I am presuming you mean the hardware and not software?????

Installation of VIPRE is not supported on Windows 95, 98, or ME, Macintosh or Linux
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hmmmm,

If you have an "old" computer with low resources, you are probably running Windows 2000 or earlier, or boot a Linux distro.

My strategy would be simple. Rather than spend $30 on Vipre I would buy an extra strip of memory and then load Avast! (supports Win 95 through Vista 64bit) or Avira (Win 2000 or later).

Both of those are free for private use

I wonder if you have an "old" machine if you really need an interactive AV? Most of the old stuff I know of isn't used to connect to the internet anyway, or maybe now and then via dial-up. Possibly just use ClamWin to scan media?

i see your point ,it is thou a good option to consider in some cases ,the old computers i was talking about are mainly ones i deal with doing non profit for the poor that cant afford tech work mainly pentuim3's and above running xp ,in this case i was going based on my own experience
    Last edited by romanticcowboy; September 12th, 2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: its 4 am and read posts wrong lol

Yes, I do similar work for a local charity. We frequently get small batches of kit from local businesses, schools, institutions. In that case I usually sacrifice the weakest members of the herd

There is a problem with early PIIIs in that the MoBo frequently won't support more than 512Mb of RAM and with the early P4s which shipped with RAMBUS RDRAM.

I still have some Windows 2000 licences and 16/32Mb PCI graphics cards, which free up shared memory

Otherwise I tell them to turn off the AV when not on the internet or using external media. I don't have a budget to load pay for AVs

I am looking forwards to Windows 7 as it will mean a whole load of decent kit coming available for us.