Offline windows / office updtates

Thread: Offline windows / office updtates

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Offline windows / office updtates

Hi Guys,

After installing Office 2007 at home I suddenly have 160 mb of updates over and above SP2 for office. The question is.

1. is there a way to get all of them in a file / installation file without writing down the KB number and searching for it at another place.
    2. I have WSUS at work, can i do something with that?

I have done some googling but can only find one by one where i can download at work and then take home.

I know its not alot but with our pricing and BW issues , it gets abit much.

Thanks.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Greetz.

This should do the trick>

Download windows update downloader from here> http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/ This will download all the updates then it's just a matter of burning 'em to a DVD take it home then do the following.

Office 2007 use the Updates folder from the installation media to install any new updates that it finds in the folder, however the updates need to be in the .msp file format for them to be recognized. Since the Office 2007 SP2 update file is delivered in the .exe format, an extra step is required before being able to proceed:

First, you should copy the contents of the Office 2007 CD/DVD to a temporary folder. For our example I'll use D:\Office2007. I have also copied (office2007sp2-kb953195-fullfile-en-us.exe) to the root of the D:\ drive.

Then, using the Run command in Windows XP/Vista (WinKey+R), or in command prompt run the following command:

D:\office2007sp2-kb953195-fullfile-en-us.exe /extract:\Office2007\Updates\

replacing D:\ with wherever you stored the Office 2007 SP2 update file and D:\Office2007\ with wherever you stored the Office 2007 files.
    After agreeing to the Microsoft Software License Terms, SP2 will be extracted to D:\Office2007\Updates\.

That's it! Just start the setup for Office 2007 and the updates for SP2 will then be picked up and installed during the setup. The same method applies to any other Office 2007 SP2 update.

You may also now burn the files to the DVD so you have SP2 integrated in your installation.
    Source= How To Slipstream Office 2007 SP2 on the CD.
    Last edited by t34b4g5; September 7th, 2009 at 09:51 AM.

Hey TB, i though offline died with autopatcher seems I have been out of the loop.

I am going to have to download the file at home and then run it at work. I have Sp2 for office installed, besides windows updates , will it do office as well.

Dont suppose you have a Win 7 version :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

StOrM™
    Use WSUS to download updates to the machine and distribute from there. There are "express update" packages which will take larger disk space on the server but will be lesser download from the server to client's.

Since i've seen your WSUS questions before can you describe your current setup.. i run WSUS for 8 domains and over 50000+ computer with 16 servers (including downsteams).. maybe i can help..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

lol byte ...

SOHO network around 15 machines + two 2k3 servers.

This post was actually for my home PC ... was thinking I could download the windows 7 / Office 2007 udpates via Wsus and then take them home :P
    Albert Einstein

Hi Cider,

You might like to look at this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974982

Cumulative updates as of August 25th 2009. You should be able to get a remote/offline (administrator's) installation version?

Please check the prerequisites

Nice Nihil
    Albert Einstein