This is a thread for people who use Linux and are trying to use FreeBSD but can't seem to figure out why some things aren't working the same as they do in Linux.

FreeBSD and Linux are both similar, but that doesn't mean they're exactly the same. Linux is a clone of SunOS written by Linus Torvalds, because as he put it "I wanted a similar environment to the one I had at the University, and I couldn't find anything suitable, but doing computers all my life, I decided I'd write my own".

Sun OS is basically BSD with some other stuff added in but Linux today is a lot more user friendly than Unix was or is now. Most people running Unix on a big server, are NOT running some shiny KDE desktop with 3D FX. They're probably not even running X. And if they are, it's probably either CDE, TWM, or maybe FVWM.

So anyway, there are differences, and what appears to be no good reason as to why something in Linux doesn't work. Well, there is a good reason it's not working; it's not Linux!

--------------------

Linux:

Code:
ls --color    # Display results of "ls" in color.
FreeBSD:
Code:
ls -G    #Display the results of "ls" in color on FreeBSD.
------

Linux -

Code:
updatedb
# Update the Database for the "locate" command.

FreeBSD -

Code:
/usr/libexec/locate.updatedb
# Update the Database for "locate" in FreeBSD

In FreeBSD, Ethernet cards have names that match the device model, like this:
“/dev/re0″

Instead of :

“/dev/eth0″

Your HD is more likely “/dev/ad10s1″ than “/dev/sda1″

The defualt boot isn't going to load any GUI either in FreeBSD, you'll have to do that yourself, like this:

Type this; gdm_enable=”YES” inside /etc/rc.conf.

You will need to edit ~/.xinitrc and add “gnome-session”

In Linux, Sound probably already works out of the box. In FreeBSD, no...

You'll have to do something to get sound going. Like for example, this as root:
Code:
kldload snd_driver
This takes a minute, and then if you want to add it without typing this all the time:

Code:
cat /dev/sndstat
Look for the driver name RIGHT after “kld” in that line. You're going to add it here:

Put RIGHTAFTERKLD_load=”YES” to /boot/loader.conf

What about this update thing? In Linux you have a bunch of utilities to do this, and sometimes don't even need to do anything at all... Well, in FreeBSD the easiest way, if you don't have custom Kernels, is this:

freebsd-update (Which will show a list of command line arguments to run with it) like for example:

Code:
freebsd-update fetch
And then:

Code:
freebsd-update install
You can also use portsnap.

Anyone who wants to add to this, feel free to do so.