Thread: Vista+Bart PE+Sala's Password Renew Problem

Vista+Bart PE+Sala's Password Renew Problem

I work for a small computer repair shop. I've got a laptop in here now that is a HP Pavillion Entertainment PC dv9000. The original problem with it was that it would not power on, we got it fixed. Then we had to call the customer for the passwords. He doesn't know them. Says he gave it to his grandkid awhile back ago. The kid gives us two passwords. Neither of them worked. The kid says that it has been awhile since he has used it and can't remember for sure what they might be. But he wants the data on the laptop saved. So we can't reinstall Windows Vista on top of it. It's been a long while since I tried cracking a password or even using any programs that might change the existing account information. Didn't there used to be a Linux cd that you could use to change the password on a 2000 or xp machine, what was that called? Anyways, so I start lookin around and I find that my best option so far as I can tell since all I want to do is create a new admin account, not crack any of the existing, is to use Bart PE with Sala's Password Renew on it. So I make the boot cd with Sala on it and now when I try to boot I get this error message:
    si3112r.sys could not be found. Press any key to restart.
    So I google and find that si3112r is a SATA RAID driver. Strange since I don't have a SATA drive in there. But I see that some others have run into the same problem. So I looked and looked but really couldn't find a way to remedy this. I did for winPE but I want to use Bart PE on this. So here I am looking to you guys for any suggestions. I had to google the specs for this hard drive so here they are:

17” WXGA+ (1440 x 900) Brightview standard. Optional(2) WXGA+ Ultra Brightview or WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) Brightview display.
    • Available with Mobile AMD Turion™ 64 X2 dual-core processor(4,5,6)
    • NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7600 discrete graphics with 256MB dedicated DDR2 VRAM.
    • 5-in-1 digital media card reader(11)
    • Four USB 2.0 ports
    • ExpressCard 54 slot
    • Integrated wireless support(6) for 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN and Bluetooth™ technologies on select models
    • Dual hard disk drive option with combined capacity up to 240GB(7)
    • 8-cell Li-Ion battery
    • Powerful but portable: weight starting as low as 7.8 lbs and as thin as 1.00-inch
    • Integrated Altec Lansing stereo speakers
    • Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2 or Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2. Optional(2) configuration with Microsoft’s® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005.
    • Dual stereo headphone jacks – one with high-definition audio support (S/PDIF capable)
    • Optional(2) HP webcam with integrated dual stereo microphones.

It has Windows Vista Home Premium on it also.

You might want to give OPHCRACK a go. I have some good success with it.

Download at:

http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

Cheers
    DjM

Greetz.

Couldn't you just pop the drive out use one of those drive connectors and hook it up to another PC and just backup the "important" stuff format re-install then recreate the user profile with the backup?

I use this:

http://www.pcloginnow.com/

Hint: If it won't set the password to blank for some reason, try setting it to a known value like: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz; that should be long enough to replace whatever was there

And if that doesn't work

The kid says that it has been awhile since he has used it and can't remember for sure what they might be. But he wants the data on the laptop saved.
    Tell him it will cost an extra $200...................you will be amazed at how suddenly data becomes unimportant............trust me!
    Last edited by nihil; September 12th, 2009 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    I use this:

http://www.pcloginnow.com/

Hint: If it won't set the password to blank for some reason, try setting it to a known value like: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz; that should be long enough to replace whatever was there
    Says it's freeware, but you either had to previously purchased something from them in the past or need to purchase something before you can download there "Freeware"

Notice:

PCLoginNow download is now only available for PC Disk Tools customers. Only PC Disk Tools Customers who has ever purchased any of PC Disk Tools products can download any of the freewares issued by PC Disk Tools.

For PC Disk Tools customers, you can start the downloading process by using any of the order IDs you got from Regnow emails and copy into the textbox below.

If you have just bought a software from PC Disk Tools, you might not be able to download right away. Since we need to import your record to our database. But normally, you will be able to download within one week after your order transaction.

"The early bird catches the worm".......I got mine for free

I work for a small computer repair shop.
    Commercial users should be prepared to pay for their tools....................just add it to the bill.

EDIT:

You may still be able to get the previous (free) version here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcloginnow/files/
    Last edited by nihil; September 12th, 2009 at 08:04 PM.

First I would like to thank you all for your insightful answers. Second I am glad to say that yesterday late afternoon after some more tinkering with the ISO image and some trial and error on BART PE I now have a new account on the machine with a new password. Thanks again everyone.

Another option is to make an external floppy drive (using a USB External enclosure) and go to http://www.loginrecovery.com and download their image. You can either pay them $24.95 (I believe) for immediate access to the passwords, or wait 72 hours for them to e-mail you.

I've used it on computers before and it works great. Even with waiting the 72 hours. You can get a pretty good idea just from checking earlier (as it will show you how many characters and maybe a few of them).

Have a great day
    Patrick.

@ PatrickDickey,

You have just reminded me. I believe that you need to use a recovery process if you use the Windows encryption system (EFS?).

If I remember correctly, changing or blanking the file owner's password would make your data inaccessible?