Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Tools Firewall vs Comodo - Win7

PC Tools Firewall vs Comodo - Win7

Hi all,

I am using Windows 7 currently. What do you all think of PC Tools Firewall Plus, especially in comparison to Comodo for Windows 7?

I have seen reviews/reports that Comodo was one of the better software based solutions for Windows, and the PC Tools Firewall looks a bit toyish.

Just wondering if anyone has extensive knowledge of either?

Thankyou

I really don't trust any of the firewalls you mentioned.. Go for a all-in-one like kaspersky Internet security or symantec's products..

If you're good at configuring a firewall and want to create lot of rules i would advise Agnitum's Outpost pro firewall (not their AV product)..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

I've used Comodo on Vista and it was alright. The only real annoyance that I got was if I didn't put it in "Installation Mode" before I started an install, I ended up with a bunch of pop-ups requesting permission (even after selecting Installation Mode at some point later on). Although this wasn't on every app, it was enough to be annoying.

I haven't tried it on Windows 7 yet, so I honestly can't tell you whether it works or not. During the Technical beta (at least the early stages) they didn't have a compatible version.

Have a great day
    Patrick.

What do you all think of PC Tools Firewall Plus, especially in comparison to Comodo for Windows 7?
    I don't...............a software firewall for an OS that isn't even seriously marketed yet? what are you mate..............some sort of masochist?

Nobody and their cat uses Windows 7 seriously yet, so what does it matter?

When there is serious money there, you will see the contenders

I've been using Pc Tools firewall for over 2years now, it's a great lil firewall, easy to setup, configure and you can dive into advance mode and get your hands dirty if you want.

There's ton's of features and is good with system resources, and you can set it to ask for your permission, or just set it so that it works silently in the background and not ask.

also they were aquired by Mcafee a while back and since then i've noticed they have more regular updates coming in.

Thumbs down comobo farewall ?

comodo firewall with windows 7 64 bit....has been a nightmare of BSOD and buggy drivers etc so heads up

Considering that for about the same price as a software firewall, you could get basically ANY router, which generally has a firewall, or the capabilities to do so, wouldn't it be easier to just get hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    Considering that for about the same price as a software firewall, you could get basically ANY router
    Free routers?
    , which generally has a firewall, or the capabilities to do so, wouldn't it be easier to just get hardware?
    Network devices may act as a network traffic light, but they provide little if any *actual* protection for the average PC. NAT itself is a firewall of sorts, if for no other reason than the router will have no idea what to do with a new incoming connection unless a rule has already been defined.

Most common threats breeze right through hardware based firewalls for the simple reason that most threats are delivered via HTTP, unless you have one hell of a firewall (think CheckPoint or SonicWall) with IDS/AV functionality and a current definition subscription you're not going to get any meaningful protection.

Another avenue that has to be considered is the possibility of the firewall (software or "hardware") being compromised itself. I've seen plenty of remote exploits for network appliances, as well as software firewalls. Question is, which is more likely to be updated regularly?
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

I paid like not even 50 dollars for the Router I was using and it had a Firewall and auto updated itself. I do have a hardware "Security Device" too, which again, this thing by default auto updates but it cost a little more. The Router we're using now also came with one, and again, the autoupdate stuff, it makes it a lot easier. The first Router I ever used you had to update this thing by hand, then, load a bin file, and reboot it, but I don't think anyone uses that stuff anymore.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    damm these old threads!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein