Thread: Trend WFBS 6.0 Performance

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar

Trend WFBS 6.0 Performance

Hey guys - its been a while. With life's ups and downs it is hard to find time but life a settled down a bit for me now and Im back doing what i love

Which brings me to this post - We have recently upgraded some Trend clients to WFBS 6.0 and they have had huge problems with network and workstation performance.

Now, to inform you in advance, we are almost finished with finding a solution and the clients performance is almost back on par but I thought I would find out if anyone else has had issues with the new version of trend, and how you guys went about finding a solution.

Ironically, after dealing with Trend Support (we are a Trend partner) and being told there are no issues, and the only resolution Trend provided was to exclude app/working directories we found a Trend technote detailing performance problems and how to work around them.

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/1/Imp...ts-agents.aspx

A quick run down of things we have gone through to attempt to fix the performance issue, however I will document the entire process and provide a solution to you guys tomorrow, but I also wanted to get YOUR feedback on what the deal is.

1) Uninstall Trend client off server
    2) Spent 20+ hours running tools for Trend Support - results = 0
    3) Modifying group settings etc
    4) SMARTSCAN Service - I mean, really - Ideal for a dedicated security server (maybe) but when your running SBS exchange & security all in one (with a TS on the side) this Smartscan service is HIGHLY less than ideal.
    5) Registry Hack on a few clients that still report slow performance, escpecially when starting up.

Gotta get back to work - I will detail further items and the ultimate solution as we are just about done (30-40 non-billable hours round about) and will advise on further details.....

But what has been your experience? Thanks in advance guys - you will see me around much more in the future, once again

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Angry It isn't just SBS

Oh did your article hit home. I have about 20 customers now on WFBS 6.0 and every one of them is complaining that their workstations are on their knees. I just applied WFBS 6.0 SP1 this last weekend on all of them. It is suppose to fix the speed issues but I won't hold by breath.

This whole smart scan issue doesn't make sense to me. It sure seems like it would just flood the network with traffic. Have you gotten anywhere on correcting your speed issues?

+1, I'm seeing the exact same issue for all of my clients who are on 6.0 as well (WFBS 5.1 is working flawlessly). Any luck getting performance back to an acceptable level?

Hey guys,

Thanks for the response - I will update shortly. I expect my response will be at least a page long so check back in a couple of hours as I am short for time atm.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

OK....

Ever since upgrading to WFBS 6.0 the clients have complained that their workstations are very slow. Especially opening documents, emails etc. and especially slow booting up and logging into the domain/workstation.

This is now 2 months onwards without a specific solution in place. We are a Trend Micro partner and have had little luck exploring the problems with them.

We have;

1) Run all the tools recommended by the Trend Partner Support Team and provide the results to them.
    2) Provided remote access to the Trend Partner Support Team
    3) Adjusted settings up to the ying-yang in order to try and resolve the issue, including disabling anti-spam and realtime scanning.
    4) Replaced the switches with hired switches for a week.
    5) Applied the registry patches on the workstations to delay the trend agent startup and resizing the page pool size to the maximum recommended.

We have now just installed Server 2003 on a whitebox with 2GB ram and have installed the WFBS6.0 on this box. We have migrated across all the clients and will next uninstall the WFBS from the primary server. The server and network/workstation performance was never an issue prior to installing WFBS6.0

The server is still not under any kind of load, HOWEVER if you check the performance monitor and inspect the disk read and disk write for the trend process (even when it is actually disabled), the process alone is causing huge latency. Check the process with Process Explorer from microsoft and have a closer look at the latency generated by the trend processes alone.

- I will try and convince my team mate who has been working on this issue primarily to write up some doco to explain it better.

Feel free to offer suggestions or ask any questions as I am able to answer them easily - we have been working on this trend performance issue now for over 2 months on various clients...... btw, we are holding off on any more 6.0 upgrades.
    - Albert Einstein

Hi CybertecOne

Did you ever get this issue resolved/document what you did to fix this?

Had exactly the same thing happen to one of my customer sites

Product is fully patched up to SP3, and is still performing way below expectations

The short answer is no, the issue is still persistent despite working closely with both Trend and Microsoft.... I am convinced there is some variable either application or OS side that is causing this issue such as a particular NIC driver, or other setting/device.

Disabling the Smart Scan service did show an increase in performance, but it was still very poor compared to 5.x - The Smart Scan service can be disabled in global settings and the impact is as follows;

Smart Scan Enabled: Scanning of local workstations is actually performed by the security server across the network.

Disabled: The workstations scan themselves and report back to the security server.....

let me know if you gather any more information.

CTO
    - Albert Einstein