Thread: going even farther back

going even farther back

I have searched the site and haven't found another post that exactly matches this question and this seemed like the best forum to post it in.

An ex who is now out of state sends me some 'eff'ed up emails and when I trace the IP address it says its in Wisconsin. Im sure my ex is not there. Ex's phone # is also a wisconsin number because of a friend there that owns the account.

I am trying to go farther with this investigation than the IP trace will take me.

the IP is: 71.89.48.39 and the result is
    Host name: 71-89-48-39.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com in Wassau, WI

How would one narrow this down to the correct state/city if this is as far as an IP search will take you?
    Any and all information concerning this is welcome.
    How would one even get an internet connection from an ISP in one state if they resided in another?
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

Hi, you might like to look at this:

www.eff.org/files/filenode/Charter/033802P.pdf

United Stares Court of Appeals For The Eighth Circuit N0. 03-3802

"Only the ISP, however, in this case Charter Communications, Inc. (Charter), can link a particular IP address with an individual's name and physical address"

Ex's phone # is also a wisconsin number because of a friend there that owns the account.
    If that is the case then they are probably sharing an ISP connection as well? That would also give you a Wisconsin address.

Basically, ISP addresses are not reliable as traceability and geolocation were not a part of the internet's initial design.

MMM ok, thats too bad - not the answer I was looking for, lol

Thanx Nihil! BTW that link you posted I would have liked to look at but it was
    broken, any chance of a re-post.

And does anyone else have any other suggestions?
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

Banned
    Boo hoo... setup you're account to automaticly delete everything unless its a contact.

My suggestion is to contact the ex and find out whether they are sending the e-mails or not. If you're sure they are not living in Wisconsin, then most likely the computer they used while they WERE living there is still active. Someone else is probably sending the e-mails out from their account.

Another possibility is that someone in Wisconsin got their e-mail credentials (username and password) and are sending the e-mails out without your ex knowing it.

I had this happen with an ex of mine. Another one of her ex-boyfriends (after me) decided to send a bunch of crap out on her account. She had no clue because she hardly used her computer. From my sending an e-mail to a friend of hers, and that person telling her, she figured out what was going on. The ex-boyfriend had changed all of her passwords, so she couldn't get into the accounts. And started spamming people.

So, my suggestion is either call your ex directly, or contact a mutual friend to see if they're getting the same e-mails.

As for the IP address, they go by the closest "node" to your location. Which is why nihil said they are terrible to use for tracing. If you look at my IP address, it will come up Davenport, IA. I'm actually about 25 miles from there. But it's the closest "node" that Qwest uses (node being connection to the "backbone" of the Internet).

Have a great day
    Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Hi, you might like to look at this:

www.eff.org/files/filenode/Charter/033802P.pdf

United Stares Court of Appeals For The Eighth Circuit N0. 03-3802

"Only the ISP, however, in this case Charter Communications, Inc. (Charter), can link a particular IP address with an individual's name and physical address"

If that is the case then they are probably sharing an ISP connection as well? That would also give you a Wisconsin address.

Basically, ISP addresses are not reliable as traceability and geolocation were not a part of the internet's initial design.
    No major issue with the link here.. just for some reason you need to have a look at the url bar .. it will look something like this:
    Code:
    http://antionline.com/www.eff.org/files/filenode/Charter/033802P.pdf
    you just need to make it look like
    Code:
    http://www.eff.org/files/filenode/Charter/033802P.pdf
    As for the business about IP's ....
    the IP is allocated to the ISP, then leased to the client's PC's so if the ISP is in Podunk and is only a local provider then you're in luck.. you have it narrowed down to a town. but major ISP's the client could be in LA and the ISP in NY..
    Best bet for you.. assume she has been pwned, set your spam filters to block her account.. and leave any backtracking to the Feds: why? If you persist in trying to establish a locality of the PC, regardless of the result, you will have left enough of a trail, that if she has been pwned, the feds could track your efforts to locate the PC it back to you... and assume it to be part of the hack.. and in this stuff you're guilty until proven guilty
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

How would one even get an internet connection from an ISP in one state if they resided in another?
    You could have an IP anywhere in the world if you send email from someone else's proxy. I could connect to a proxy or virtual server in India and send email if I wanted, and you'd trace it to India even though I'm in the US.

Feds can still demand that owner of the proxy server provide the IP of the user, fyi.