Thread: Windows 2003 server + Oracle, slow

Windows 2003 server + Oracle, slow

Hello.

I have GP ML-350 with 5 disk RAID5 + 1 Hot Spare
    6GB RAM
    1 Xeon 3.2 Processor

I have Windows 2003 Server Sp2 + Adapted RAID 2120s Controler
    Oracle 10g Version.

My problem is that the Database is very very slow, i have checked the performance monitor, and the avg. Disk queue length is at the top almost all the time.
    When the users use the Front Office to write something down on the data base, is taking a very long time, the consulting is a bit more quicker, but not fast enough.

I have already shutdown all the services i didn't needed, i tried to manual insert the Paging files and put "windows choise", but it's still very slow.
    I asked my database administrator, but the are also having trouble to speed up the database.

When there is only a few users connected to the database, the system is kind of fast, but when everyone is connected at the same time, it's practically impossible to work.

at first i tough it could be from the network, but if i run the front office locally and try to do something, it is still very very slow, so my guess is, it's not from the network.
    This can be only 2 things bad oracle configuration, or something with the server configuration.
    Maybe RAID Controller drivers??

What do you guy's think it could be?

Thanks.
    Best Regards.
    Last edited by yuris; September 24th, 2009 at 04:04 PM.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Performance will ALWAYS be restricted by the bottleneck.

If the server is performing well, and at least you have tried to bunk it down as much as you can - start looking outside the server. Network card speed? Switch? Workstation?

I would also recommend downloading wireshark or some other packet sniffer and watching if any large number of packets are being dropped between the server and workstations when accessing the database. I have seen this quite a bit.

What is the network infrastructure like between the server and workstations?

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

I managed to speed up the database. I have cleaned all temp tables and changed the básic configurtion. It is working very fast now, the main problem, i guess, it was all the trash inside the tables that was slowing down everthing.