Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting up an exchange account for two computers

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CybertecOne View Post
    The second article desribes connection without a VPN

No VPN required - if you did have VPN access, we wouldnt need to have this conversation

Peace - CTO
    Let me rephrase,

If I want to set it up at home without coming into the office I would need a VPN.

I will have to bring it in so it can see the exchange server as I cant see it out of the LAN ...

Hope im making sense :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by CybertecOne View Post
    The second article desribes connection without a VPN

No VPN required - if you did have VPN access, we wouldnt need to have this conversation

Peace - CTO
    Let me rephrase,

If I want to set it up at home without coming into the office I would need a VPN.

I will have to bring it in so it can see the exchange server as I cant see it out of the LAN ...

Once I have seen the server I can then take it home and use it there.

I.E I cannot setup an exchange account from home without a VPN. If I dont have a VPn I would need to be inside the network to set it up.

Hope im making sense :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    It does make sense

You should be able to setup the exchange account from home using an external address for the exchange server. This address would most likely be the OWA address (provided RPC over HTTP has been enabled)
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Hi,

That is exactly what I having been trying to do but it doesnt want to resolve ...

I can log into OWA and check my mail there so I dont see why it doesnt work.
    Albert Einstein

and according to the techs... is RPC over HTTP enabled on the exchange server?

Perhpas taking into the LAN and configuring the exchange account will get around this issue, and then enabling RPC on the account afterwards.

I know you can configure an account as you have tried to do, as a client of mine has remote offices without VPN; just terminal server and local outlook connecting to exchange over HTTP.

Confirm with techs? Otherwise get them to forward an unused port to RDP into your work computer from home instead?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Cider, just a thought but do you have an autodiscover record in your dns zone that points to the exchange server? PING autodiscover.yourdomain.com, org or whatever and it should return the public ip of your mail server.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Excellent suggestion! DNS never crossed my mind... duh
    - Albert Einstein