Thread: *urgent* Reset windows xp password.

*urgent* Reset windows xp password.

I have a L1 users' machine where he has forgotten his password. Data on his machine is highly confidential and critical, hence it has been sent to me (yes the ******* sent the entire machine).

He wants the data and everything on the machine. But he doesn't want to loose his apps (he doesn't have all the install cd's). I honestly don't have time for this and this isn't my work profile. I was just going to ask someone to repair the installation and that way hoping to give his machine back today. But because of the non-availability of software cd's, I’ve been left with little choice.

I remember reading at places that windows xp password can be reset by attaching second HDD and deleting sam file. I just can’t find it online (I am not sure if it works on NTFS).

Cutting it short – What is the best way to reset his administrator password without doing anything else to the machine (format or repair / reinstall anything).

PS: If reqired i'll delete the thread later (please don't start about a crawler getting a copy of the page )
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

P.S. Make sure you save changes, or you'll be pulling your hair out.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

[ Moved from GCC ]

Wouldn't worry bout deleting the thread, it may come in handy if/when another member needs help with similar issues

The things I would worry about are these. If they encrypted their files using the Administrator password (or any user password), then resetting that password will lock them out of those files.

I've always used LoginRecovery http://www.loginrecovery.com for my forgotten passwords. If the computer has a floppy or can boot from USB, you'll simply boot to a floppy (or USB Stick) that's loaded with the image, and it will save the SAM file to the floppy (or USB). Then you upload the image from another computer that has a floppy drive (or from another user on that computer-- or from the USB stick) to their site. You can either pay them to get the password immediately, or you can wait 72 hours and have a link e-mailed to you. The link will take you to all of the passwords stored in the sam file.

Hope this helps, and have a great day
    Patrick.

This works and is free:

http://www.pcloginnow.com/

It will reset the administrator password to blank. If this doesn't work then try again and set a password of your choice

I don't like the sound of this to be honest.............

I have a L1 users' machine where he has forgotten his password. Data on his machine is highly confidential and critical, hence it has been sent to me
    That doesn't ring true..............."highly confidential and critical"??????????????

How the hell do you "forget" that?

My experience is that these problems are frequently the result of corrupted user profiles, such that the poor old user hasn't forgotten their password, it just doesn't work anymore.

Isn't there an administrator password on this machine? or does the user login as administrator?

To be honest with you, I suspect that the HDD is probably on the way out............ might be an idea to use roadkil's "unstoppable copier" to make a backup first?

He's a VP. All users get a machine with their user name being poweruser and an administrator login which is generally reserved for IT. But since he is L1, "Head of department" he was given a new machine when he joined. I've connected the HDD to secondary and i can only see administrator profile (not mentioning - local etc).

It is mandatory for them to use biometrics but like most of the things in the company and in this nation - he just didn't follow the rules and there was no one to check it.

I'll be honest with you.. I wasn't happy receiving the call, not because i don't like ground work but the way it was put to me. I wouldn't mind helping but not bending down.. I'm to busy studying for my exam. I'll get ophcrack to work on it.. or whatever.. F|_|ck it.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Hi there ByTe~,

What happened when you boot into safe mode and try a blank admin password? AFAIK Win XP has a default Admin account with a blank password?

That PC Login Now v2.0 I linked to should work, particularly if you set a new password that would overwrite a corrupted one.

Password cracking tools may not work on a corrupted profile? They also tend to take much longer than just overwriting what is there already.

EDIT:

Patrick is quite right though. If he has used EFS you will have to try to crack it, or he will lose his data.
    Last edited by nihil; October 8th, 2009 at 11:53 PM.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I use this all the time at work. Does all kinds of awesomeness...
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

I remember in school we used these little CDs and just booted from them and changed the passwords on any NTFS OS. I think XP and 2000 were what we used but it seemed to work on any of the NT line. I'm pretty sure one of them has been linked to in here already though.

And welcome back techtech

hirens boot cd the select password reset i think then active
    @ password recovery , it will scan your drive for the regestry key that stores the password and reset it to no password