Thread: DVD-ROM dissapears

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

DVD-ROM dissapears

Hey Guys,

DVD ROM: LG DVD WRITER

The DVD dissapears randomly, I have to restart my PC to get it back. I use IMgBurn to create my DVD's.

Dont know if its Hardware or software. Tried to do some searching but cant find much. I checked in Events and find nothing, not any trace.

Could this be going or could it be software?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    1) Check data and power cables on both device and mainboard.
    2) If USB, try different port.

The fact that the drive does work, assumingly, then everything should be OK. Check disk management for drive letter assignment.

It could be a hardware issue, in which case replacement is best. Or it could be 3rd party software such as IMgBurn causing the device to drop off - It would be that IMgBurn is not compatible with Win7 and the conflict causes the drive to disappear in the cross-fire.

95% chance that it is NOT driver related.

So top of the list; Loose cable, 3rd party software, faulty device.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Sata cable but I will check that ... Imagine if Nero had a decent Windows 7 version.

If all else fails I will have to replace it but I don't think it could be hardware.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cider
    If all else fails I will have to replace it but I don't think it could be hardware.
    What happens if the problem is not hardware? Do you think that replacing the hardware would then solve the problem? Most likely you will end up with 2 perfectly healthy DVD writers and the same problem still unresolved....

Just some outsider observation

Cheers

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein