Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up an exchange account for two computers

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Setting up an exchange account for two computers

Hi All,

This is what I would like to do.

I have my work email which is excahnge and has about 3 POP accounts linked. All mail downloadeds to my PC at work.

We do use OWA but I would like to setup my mail to downlaod to my Outlook at home and mimic my mail at work.

I know Imap can do this but we cant enable this.

I would need to setup an OST at work versus teh PST that I have. How do I set it up at home? Jsut use our static IP that we use for OWA? Is there anything in exchange that we msut do?

Thanks
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Is exchange setup for DNS or smarthost? Who is hosting your mail accounts?

This will cause the setup you want to be completely different.

Furthermore; Outlook will allow you to connect to exchange via HTTP, allowing you to use outlook application rather than OWA. This is most likely what you want to do.

[edit]
    Here, I found petri page that explains it in easy to understand terms for outlook 2003 - It works even better and easier in outlook 2007.
    http://www.petri.co.il/how-can-i-con...r-scenario.htm
    [/edit]
    Last edited by CybertecOne; October 8th, 2009 at 05:46 AM.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Another thought that occured to me; If you want your outlook @ home and your outlook @ work to mimic each other, you MUST have a central storage point. Typically exchange.

Alternatively, you can have a portable PST file on USB stick. Plug it in at work, launch outlook using the PST file. Take it home at the end of the day and use it @ home.

This solution would NOT be supported, and I really do not recommend it either..... but it will probably work
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Hi Guys,

We host our mail here at work. OUr ISP is next door We have POP accounts that are filtered from overseas and are hosted there.

But everythign filters through the exchange email aco**** , so I can recive EVERYTHING (including the POP account emails) jsut cant send if I dont set it up.

If I try and set it up at home I get a timeout but If I set the pop account up , I dont get a timeout at all.

Still trying to figure this out.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

But everythign filters through the exchange email aco****
    rofl - the two 'c' letters in account are next to each other.... not between the o & the u.

---

Configure exchange for RPC over HTTP and configure outlook at home for exchange cached mode.... This should work providing you dont have unbearably slow internet at work and home.

Performance wise, this should be similar to POP.

CTO
    - Albert Einstein

rofl - the two 'c' letters in account are next to each other.... not between the o & the u.
    Heh, nice typo there. Ill give it a bash, thanks.
    Albert Einstein

Spoke to the IT guys and apparently it doesnt work with exchange 2007. They say I would have to bring my machine in and then setup here and let it sync ...
    Albert Einstein

RPC over HTTP definitely works with Exchange 2007......
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc179036.aspx

I am not 100% sure, but you can still configure an outlook exchange account over HTTP just the same as you can retreive your mail and access your mailbox once it has been configured. You just need to ensure you are able to contact the exchange server..... you will need an external hostname which will be very similar to the OWA address.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/ou...024441033.aspx

Let me know if you need any more help with this

CTO
    - Albert Einstein

I will look at those but the second article seems to say that you will need a VPN connection which I dont have access too.

I will test this at home and see if it works.

I wasnt doing anything different though.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cider
    I will look at those but the second article seems to say that you will need a VPN connection which I dont have access too.
    The second article desribes connection without a VPN

No VPN required - if you did have VPN access, we wouldnt need to have this conversation

Peace - CTO
    - Albert Einstein