Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used computer parts and accessories

Used computer parts and accessories

Hey I was just wondering if any one knew of any good places to get some used computer parts and stuff just to mess with. Like rite now I am looking for a magnetic stripe card Writer/Reader and i really don't wanna play $400.00 for one that I'm only gonna use a few times. so any one know of any good places?

You could try the internet. I hear they've got lots of stuff for sale.
    sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberB0b View Post
    You could try the internet. I hear they've got lots of stuff for sale.
    You're kindof a jerk.

Greetz.

Can we keep the reply's to this thread on-topic and relevant please.

Also the OP may like to check out This thread from 2004. Computers and parts for free or nearly free.

most of the ways are still do-able in this day in this day & age.
    Last edited by t34b4g5; October 27th, 2009 at 01:24 AM.

Check craigslist. You might be able to find some cheap stuff, probly in your area.

If there are any big office parks, you might check the dumpsters periodically.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

I don't know where you are mate, so this may or may not help.

Here in the NE UK we have an outfit called "ReFit" who basically recover, refurbish and redeploy old local government, schools, health authority and the likes' obsolete gear. You might check if you have something similar, or a body that disposes of such kit.

You should be able to find standard gear and could get lucky with something like a card reader as once those are obsolete they probably don't have much of a second user value.

Retail chains are another possible source, although they probably just dump their stuff on jobbing dealers to sell on e-bay with all your bank and credit card details

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    westin has my top suggestion - local dumpsters. =)

You would be amazed at the perfectly good hardware salvaged from 'broken' computers. Also, some companies spend a budget each year on upgrades and new computers. Old computers are either disposed over correctly, others are donated and some are just plain thrown out.

Big corporations/government agencies who replace computers ritually dispose of thousands of computers in a lifetime, and usually in bulk amounts at a time. Although they are usually stripped of the HDD for security, but are otherrwise disposed of in bulk.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Hi,

"Dumpster diving" I find the expression rather amusing, although MsMittens is absolutely correct in warning that you must check your local ownership laws. Sometimes you might have to go to the disposer first to get permission. They are hardly likely to say "no"?

OK I am a bit older.........oops "more experienced" than a lot here, so I go down the local bar/pub and buy a few beers for the refuse disposal guys and their foreman: result, they collect from and deliver to my house (deliveries are put in the porch, in case it rains)

This is IMHO an excellent form of recycling, as it is zero cost to the local taxpayer, and even saves the donor money.
    Hey nihil - After all these years of experience, how did you manage to discover that the solutions to all of lifes problems and unanswered questions are at the local pub? I amuses me to think that each time you (not personally but anybody) encountered a problem, you went to the pub and during the visit, almost like magic, the problem was gone rofl - Thus concluding that all of the solutions are at the pub which now is the first point of call for any dilemma *all in good fun bud*

CTO
    Last edited by CybertecOne; November 8th, 2009 at 07:21 PM.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Hi, sorry if I came off as a jerk. That was just my attempt a humor ;_; Anyways places I am aware of are:

freegeek.org in Portland
    ntrweb.org in Philadelphia
    sandwich.