Thread: Keyboard input/output problems

Keyboard input/output problems

Hi All

I am having problems with my keyboard. My old keyboard went haywire and if I pressed a key, for example "if I hit the 'a' it would bring out 'asd' on the screen and with each continuous tap of the 'a' key it would change and sometimes just continue to produce FFFFFFFFF..... indefinately or become unresponsive all together"

Since then I have bought new keyboards but its the same problem, I have uninstalled all the keyboard and USB drivers for the new keyboards, downloaded new drivers but this has not solved the problem.
    I have restored my windows xp to an earlier version, I have reinstalled windows xp. This helped a little as I can now use my new keyboard in lower case and use the shift key to get capitals.
    If I do press the caps button on, the key output goes haywire again. This also happens when the NUM lock is on. I can't turn off the CAPs lock by pressing the CAPS lock button, I have to press the shift button to turn it off. The NUM lock goes on and off when I press it.

I have looked at caret browsing and tried everything but no joy. I downloaded remmapping software and it shows that my keyboard is mapped correctly.

I think someone did and "ALT + SHIFT + something unknown combination" to create this problem.
    I have looked at the microsoft website but the "ALT + SHIFT" combinations I have found do not solve my problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Assuming that these keyboards work with other computers all I can think of is to update your BIOS.

The problems you have described seem a bit more fundamental than keyboard mapping or settings..............to be honest I would be surprised if there were any keyboard settings that would allow you to screw things up so dramatically, as I can't see them serving any legitimate purpose.

There is the possibility that if your BIOS has become corrupted in some way it may not be correctly identifying the keyboard correctly when you boot.

Just a thought?

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    To rule out the other factors in using/connecting a keyboard...

The bios keyboard settings, or as nihil has said perhaps corruption in the bios itself? maybe flash the bios is an idea in this case.

Also, the mainboard interface itself, try a PS2 keyboard as this should rule out the bios if it works OK. With a USB keyboard what happens if you connect it to a different hub? Try front USB ports as they are typically on a different hub than the back ones.

One last idea, is to boot into a CD OS such as Win PE or a linux image and see how the keyboard responds.... I'm sure if you actually go through all of these suggestions it would pinpoint the cause of the problem.

Happy hunting

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Don't know if you've solved it yet...but I had one that went totally wonky on me. The random typing..ect..ect.. Try replacing the mouse... I know, I know, strange...I didn't think it would work either, but I had the problem with 3 keyboards, and one of them was straight from the box new.... I changed out the mouse...and BAM no more problem. I can't explain why...it just worked.
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by techtech View Post
    Don't know if you've solved it yet...but I had one that went totally wonky on me. The random typing..ect..ect.. Try replacing the mouse... I know, I know, strange...I didn't think it would work either, but I had the problem with 3 keyboards, and one of them was straight from the box new.... I changed out the mouse...and BAM no more problem. I can't explain why...it just worked.
    Out of curiousity - was this a wireless mouse or keyboard?

It would stand to reason that the wireless signals were interfering with each other?

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein