Thread: 24-port Routers

24-port Routers

Is a 24-port Router available for networking?
    I've been looking all over but i cant seem to find any luck. Please inform me if you find something similar.

Thanks.
    Last edited by yatot; November 6th, 2009 at 04:53 AM.
    .sig na ture.

You might look into using a switch in addition to the router. What are you trying to accomplish with this setup?
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

I already have switches on my network.

Right now, the setup is from the ISP -->router -->24-port switch -->I/O's --> switches -->workstations.

What i wanna accomplish is from the ISP -->24-port router --> -->I/O's --> switches -->workstations.

So, instead of having a 4-port router, i would like to get this 24-port.
    .sig na ture.

A 24 port router isn't very practical. I am assuming we are talking about a home network so it would be more like this:
    ISP > modem > router > switch < work stations
    I would be suprised that you would have that many machines at home to need a 24 port router. in a business enviroment a very simple design would be more like this:
    ISP > router > switch < patch panel < work stations. But I doubt that thats the reference here.

Quote Originally Posted by yatot View Post
    Is a 24-port Router available for networking?
    I've been looking all over but i cant seem to find any luck. Please inform me if you find something similar.
    Thanks.
    Can you give a little more detail on what you're trying to accomplish by having 1 router with 24 ports? It means a great difference in the type of response to solve the problem, rather than just throw a piece of hardware at it.

edit: I should also note, is this related to your "Balancing Network Bandwidth" question started on Oct 22nd?
    Last edited by TG2; November 7th, 2009 at 04:04 PM.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Ideal solution would be say, a 4-port router configured on different subnets as required connected to a L3 switch configured with VLAN's for each subnet on the router.

Any thoughts ?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

After re-reading the posts..... I also have to ask; what are you trying to accomplish?

Right now, the setup is from the ISP -->router -->24-port switch -->I/O's --> switches -->workstations.

What i wanna accomplish is from the ISP -->24-port router --> -->I/O's --> switches -->workstations.
    This seems to indicate that you want to combine the router and switch into a single device? The only reason one would do this is to configured each port individually and hence configure the network/firewall individually for each connected computer......

BUT, this is already accomplished via IP address, MAC address and subnets. Looking at a physical network from this point of view, the only purpose a switch serves is to "expand" the LAN interface on the router into a 24-port LAN interface (which is what you have asked for).

However, instead of configuring each of the ports from the central router/switch combo device, you will have to configure each of the NIC's connected to the ports. Administration of this is easy when looking at DHCP scopes and MAC address reservations.

How much network configuration were you hoping to set up between 24 devices?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Hi all,

Sorry for the (very) late reply.

@CybertecOne: My network has 8 departments and i wish to separate them but has still access to one server.

@TG2: Yes it is.

What would be the ideal network configuration in your own perspective. How is your network configured?

Thanks.
    .sig na ture.

What you want then is a layer 3 "managed" switch.

You can create Vlan's on that switch which will let you separate your departments like you want.

Switches like these:
    http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/resul...tBy=TopSellers

Would accomplish what you want..I'm partial to Cisco Switches.

But from the console of that switch you'll be able to create your Vlan's which will let you keep department traffic separate while still allowing access to the internet.

For example, you can configure physical ports 1-10 to be Network A with IP a.a.a.a
    While Ports 11 - 24 are network B with IP b.b.b.b. You can apply custom ACL's to those Vlan rules to actually keep the traffic separate while using 1 router.
    =

@CybertecOne: My network has 8 departments and i wish to separate them but has still access to one server.
    OK. So as cheyenne1212 said, you definately want a layer 3 managed switch, with a simple webGUI or application interface.

This will solve all of the problems. Alternatively, you could put each department on different subnets, and configure the server IP NIC as having 8 different IP addresses, one for each department to access. This is the cheap way of doing it, and it is possible to do, but a s***t load of administration would be needed to get it working. Not to mentioned a couple more NICs on the server for redundancy and load balancing.
    - Albert Einstein