Thread: Hardware check

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Hardware check

Hey Guys,

Ive suddenly noticed my computer is hanging when doing certain things (opening up any folder etc) , Simple things really.

Something tellms me some hardware is going, probaly my Graphic card. I have a 3870 on an ASUS p5E with quad core 2.4ghz.

Does anyone recommend a tool that can scan my hardware and let me know if there is anything I should be worried about.

I know I can use specific programs for HDD etc but looking for a through scan for teh whole system.

Running windows 7 ultimate x64.

Thanks
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Does anyone recommend a tool that can scan my hardware and let me know if there is anything I should be worried about.
    Nope, there ain't no such animal, and anything that says otherwise is snake oil pure and simple

I find the idea of the video card being at fault a little difficult to take onboard as just opening folders and stuff isn't really video intensive?

I would just go for the standard memory and HDD tests to start with, also...........have you recently upgraded your BIOS?

My next move would be to disconnect from the internet and turn off all AV and anti-malware products (I no u run norten an won't admit it )

Seriously, what you are describing sounds more like a software conflict of some sort. Your kit seems a bit too modern...............take a look at what is running and what is taking the resource.............a hang is frequently 100% CPU usage?

Greetz.

If you don't already have it download Process monitor and keep it open and do whatever your doing to make the system hang and see what is causing the cpu to spike so hard to make the system just give up and stop working.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896645.aspx

I would just go for the standard memory and HDD tests to start with, also...........have you recently upgraded your BIOS?
    Very late reply.

Oh yes I have updated my bios ... hmmm, thought it was a good idea ... Should I flash it?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cider View Post
    Very late reply.

Oh yes I have updated my bios ... hmmm, thought it was a good idea ... Should I flash it?
    Last time a computer guy flashed something..I think he ended up in jail..lol
    =

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    I have noticed an issue of explorer hanging when opening documents, shortcuts etc.... it just hangs and then after a period of time it continues as expected. I have not noticed anything in task manager and the CPU is not under load.

[edit] I forgot to mention that I have noticed this problem on about 5 different workstations and laptops, all for different clients and all having different levels of patching/SP updates[/edit]

What intrigues me is that if you disconnect the network cable, and possible also disconnect any mapped drives - in all cases, the issue goes away.

I have had no luck in resolving this problem except reformatting and reinstalling. I'd like to know if the problem goes away if your PC is disconnected.... btw, it was XP in all cases if memory serves.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Well when I am connected to the domain / network here at work my PC (XP here) hangs like no other but without the cable its good.

I have no idea.

I discourage the use of mapped drives as most Virii does it spreading through that mechanism once on the network.
    Albert Einstein

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Well when I am connected to the domain / network here at work my PC (XP here) hangs like no other but without the cable its good.
    Sounds like this mysterious issue that I have seen over the years - it has no cause and no known resolution. It MIGHT be the IP Stack and it MIGHT be the mapped shares and printers..... it MIGHT be a corrupted windows service - nothing I have ever tried has fixed this issue.

Ultimately, the re-install seems to fix the problem but even after all software is loaded identically - the issue does not re-appear.

----- After typing this post, a thought occured to me. What if the problem is not local - it is on the domain. Maybe the AD computer account has become corrupted and hence each time a network request is made, there is a huge delay in authenticating the machine.

Each time a reformat occurs, the AD computer account is almost always deleted and the rebuilt OS joined the old fashioned way. (I dont usually dick around with 'resetting' the computer account unless there is some major security/group policy going on).

Maybe, try deleting the domain computer account, and rejoin the domain... see if this fixes the issue I would be excited to know if it does.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Well I jsut upgraded to Windows 7 Enterprise and its flying!
    Albert Einstein