Thread: browsing by IP and not FQDN

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

browsing by IP and not FQDN

HEy Guys,

Was jsut thinking about browsing via IP and not FQDN even when clicking a link.

For instance I will go to any site via the IP in the address bar. I will then click on a link to jump to another site or a section of the same site, is there a way that is will keep the IP address in there and not jump to FQDN?

Hope you understand this :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Interesting question Cider.

Anyhow hopefully in my slightly drunken state i hope that maybe this article from M$ may or probably may not help.

Domain Browsing with TCP/IP and LMHOSTS Files

I'm pretty sure i remember an Firefox addon that let you browse using the IP related addresse's.

i'll try to dig up, but i'm most likely confusing it for something else.

Hey TB, thanks for the article, Ill give it a read through.

the reason I am wanting to know this is because we have web filtering that blocks only on FQDN. They can still get to sites Via the IP. However when trying to browse from there it changes to DN instead of staying on IP.

Thanks.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hey Cider, are you trying to bypass the content filter, or strengthen it?

You might give Untangle a look. It is free. untangle.com
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Hi there,

Trying to bypass and strenghten it same way, so I know for future recors with other employees.
    Albert Einstein