Thread: Vista Connection Problems

Vista Connection Problems

Hi Folks,

I have been working on a Toshiba Notebook running Vista Home Basic.

The guy originally called because his AT&T Broadband service was not working. It kept giving him an error 692. AT&T replaced the device, but that one did not work either.

So I tried un/reinstalling the software, no luck.

I took the notebook to my house, and tried to connect to the WiFi there. It pulled a 169.* address, so I figured DHCP might be having trouble. I reset my wireless router, and tried again... 169.*. Other machines on my network could pull an IP with no trouble. I tried a static IP address, but still was not able to ping any hosts. So I decided to plug the notebook directly into the router. Still pulled a 169 address.

I have tried the following as well:

Code:
    netsh int ip reset log.txt
    netsh winsock reset

sfc /scannow
    No luck.

Malware Bytes AntiMalware scan turned up nothing. Haven't scanned with much else yet. [on a side note, is it possible to get a full offline AVG Free installer any more? All I can find is the download manager. I hate those things.]

I booted off of an Ubuntu live cd, and both the wired and the wireless worked fine.

Any other ideas before I reinstall Vista? I mentioned this as a possibility, and he didn't seem too opposed to the idea.

Thanks in advance.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Reinstall Vista may help - However, is the problem on the computer or is it with the hardware modem? Perhaps there is a particular issue with the service/ISP ?

I also found this:
    https://www.wireless.att.com/support...KB/KB2479.html |

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-c...tionId=KB44676 |

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7585_102...hreadID=292126

-----

Just some followup questions
    1) What application/device is generating the error message
    2) What type of NIC are you using to connect to the modem
    3) Is there anything else on the network such as a router or hub/switch?

Check the links I posted to see if it covers the issue you are having, and if it doesnt help, if you could answer these questions and we should be able to assist further.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Hi CTO - Thanks for the reply.

I would say that the problem is with the OS, because all interfaces worked fine with an Ubuntu live CD. But I could not use the internal WiFi card, wired ethernet card, or the USB cellular connection while booted to Vista.

I tried plugging directly into the Linksys router, connecting to the wireless, etc. No luck. Still pulled the 169 address. Other devices on the same network are functioning without any trouble.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

You mentioned that when the NIC has a static address, you were not able to ping any hosts. Can you confirm that after you reset the IP stack - that the static IP still had no luck.

Ensure the vista firewall is disabled, uninstall IPv6 from the NIC and for safe measure uninstall all protocols except IPv4 Protocol and the default Microsoft protocols.Also ensure that when the NIC has a static IP address, that you are not able to ping the NIC from the router, or another machine.

Also, check the MAC filter (if i havent already mentioned) as this would explain all the symptoms without a "problem" being present. The filter can be found on the security pages of the linksys.

Before reformatting Vista, I would hardware reset the linksys to save wasting time. Backup the settings and hard reset the device, then if this does not help resolve the problem, restore the settings you backed up. Might save you a few hours reloading drivers etc.

Let me know how you go

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Hi CTO -

Static would not work even after the reset. I tried both at my house and my parents house. Neither of us are using MAC filtering.

I actually reloaded Vista before I saw your post. But I had tried disabling IPv6. I didn't mess with the firewall, as it didn't occur to me that it would block DHCP. [can it?]

After reloading, everything is working fine.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

-HST

I didn't mess with the firewall, as it didn't occur to me that it would block DHCP. [can it?]
    Yes - it is definitely possible, uncommon, but possible. Any service or protocol must use a specific channel or port to communicate. RDP 3398, SMTP 110 etc etc

DHCP, Netbios communication and even ping require a port to utilise. Blocking this port will prevent the service or protocol from working.
    - Albert Einstein