Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 (64 bit), Dell Dimension E521 - A Massive Conundrum

Ubuntu 9.10 (64 bit), Dell Dimension E521 - A Massive Conundrum

Hello All. I used to post here regularly, but not for a while. (2002-2006 or so). I have also been out of the computer loop for that long as well outside of some linux use.

I have a problem which I have posted on the ubuntu forums. The people there do not seem to be very helpful, so I figured I would give you all a shot. Below is what I posted on their website.

---------------------------------------

Hello,

My USB keyboard works fine throughout the session, but my USB mouse (laser) stops working completely. I have tried the
    acpi=force irqpoll seems to work...
    to add it to all of your kernel entry, open /boot/grub/menu.lst

scroll until you find defoptions=
    and append

acpi=force irqpoll

save, quit and the run

sudo update-grub
    as well as reinstalled the entire operating system twice, my question is, what could be causing my mouse to stop working? I've been using linux for ten years and have never had this problem. Could it be my BIOS?

Thanks

BTW - the computer is a Dell Dimension E521 Desktop (AMD64 Athlon)

Ok,

I reset the bios completely. It did not recognize the previous ubuntu installation, saying it failed to find the filesystem.

So, I burned a copy of ubuntu9.10-amd64.iso and booted from cd to reinstall. The installation works until I get to the keyboard layout section, in which it returns the error:

ubi-console-setup failed with exit code 135. Further information may be found in /var/log/syslog. Do you want to try running this step again before continuing? If you do not, your installation may fail entirely or may be broken.
    I click continue anyway. It goes to the partition setup page. Nothing is on the screen that I can select or click or highlight, and the setup freezes (as in, I can't go forward or do anything but go back).

I have googled this problem and the error ubi-console-setup with exit code 135 in quotes does not return anything.

I have not had much luck on this forum in the past, maybe I am not providing the adequate amount of information or people don't know the answer. Either way, someone please let me know how to better help myself with this issue and to help you help me.

Thanks.
    --------------

So basically, my friend wanted Ubuntu on his computer. So, I installed it. After a successful install on his Dell Dimension E521, the mouse would freeze and stop working after 1-2 minutes despite reinstalls, updates, general attempts to fix the grub ****, and now a BIOS reset with an attempted reinstall.

Please help me stop pulling my hair out if anyone here knows what might be going on. Thanks.

(calling on Gore - Gore, Aisle 2)

update: After erasing the BIOS settings, and the failed install, I have managed to install the operating system successfully. However, the mouse problem reoccurs (this is in different USB ports, with different mice and they all do the same).

Thanks again if anyone can help.

Quote Originally Posted by er0k View Post
    My USB keyboard works fine throughout the session, but my USB mouse (laser) stops working completely. I have tried the
    modprobe -r ohci_hcd

modprobe ohci_hcd no_handshake=1

I reset the bios completely. It did not recognize the previous ubuntu installation, saying it failed to find the filesystem.
    Sounds like you have multiple harddrives inside. Resetting probably caused the ordering of the drives to be set back to default. Your boot loader needs a little tweaking. Your partition is there but /grub/device.map and menu.lst needs to be adjusted. If you remembered the drive ordering this could have been an easy fix.

To find your missing partition.....Boot the live cd and then go into console. GOTO /boot/grub and type grub. Do your own homework

- research the command root, setup, find

Stop panicking...you digging the whole deeper. After you performed all of this....upgrade every package on the system by doing an update.
    Last edited by Linen0ise; December 9th, 2009 at 03:02 AM.

FATAL: Module ohci_hcd not found

No, Gore is not my beotch, just an old friend.

I have been doing my homework, I'm not a newb. I reinstalled the OS fine (I appreciate the input on how I could have fixed it, but I figured it out 9 minutes before you posted that).

I'm also not blaming the linux community for my problems, I asserted that the people at the Ubuntu forums have a history of not being very helpful with difficult problems, at least that I post.

Edit: modprobing ehci_hcd and uhci_hcd also fails. The mouse keeps dying its driving me crazy.
    Last edited by er0k; December 9th, 2009 at 02:14 AM.

hey er0k long time no see.

anyhow i'm not much of a ubuntu person, but curious to know have you tried using a standard ps/2 mouse? Or maybe plug another usb type mouse in?

also is it a wired usb mouse or a wireless type?

my bad.. i was about to provide that - yeah it has been a long time ( I wish my account hadn't been deleted by my request in 2006)

It is a wired USB mouse. The problem that bothers me most is that the keyboard is also a wired USB device, and it works fine.

I've been struggling with this all day.

(Can't use PS/2 because the computer itself does not have connectors for PS/2, and I've tried a couple mice)

further edit: I'm about to try this - http://wiki.soslug.org/wiki/dell_bio...nux_pc_laptops - i think it just needs a BIOS update. (specifically i think it needs support for legacy devices or something similar, which as of now my bios does not).
    Last edited by er0k; December 9th, 2009 at 02:36 AM. Reason: forgot something

Chipset on the motherboard probably lost it's brain. Try buying a pci USB card. You can always return it.

blergh.... RBU Bios Update not supported on this system - so I can't even update the BIOS.

I'll try the pci usb card, thanks.

Edit

I also keep getting this error (which seems significant) - "Your system encountered a serious kernel problem" your system might become unstable now and might need to be restarted.
    Last edited by er0k; December 9th, 2009 at 02:59 AM.

if you can get to a console. lsusb is a reliable command.. also try 'dmesg | grep usb'