Thread: Installed New Printer on Fedora

Installed New Printer on Fedora

I bought a new printer: "LexMark x2670", for my "Compaq CQ5110F PC" which has installed "Fedora 11". When I plug in the usb from the printer to the computer it right away recognizes it as a LexMark printer. Then I configure it in the setup, I put in the make and model. Select the driver from the driver list and it's all setup to print. When I do a test page it processes it but my printer doesn't print anything.

I tried every driver that was on the list and I get nothing. Then I went to their website and downloaded a driver for my printer that works on Fedora. After I installed it, it asks me to plug in the printer and configure it, so I plug it in and it's like it's not recognizing it. So I can't complete the configuration for this driver on my printer, then I tried "CUPS" I get the same results.

Every time I process a test page it "sends" it to my printer but it doesn't print. I already scanned a few things and it copied just fine in case the printer was not printing the way it's supposed to print. I configure it the right way with the device being the usb port, make and model of the printer, and others. I also tried looking for information on how to set it up using search engines but I get no results.

I even tried looking at the configuration files for the printer in /etc/printcap, and /etc/cups/printers.conf and printers.conf.O but I don't see anything that could be wrong. I want to get my printer working any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Salmos 23:4 Aunque ande en el valle de sombra profunda, no temo nada malo, porque tu estas conmigo; tu vara y cayado son las cosas que me consuelan.

Curious question, but have you plugged it into another machine and tried doing the test print?

when you do the test print does it appear in the prin que?? also try doing a print, but hard reset the printer and when it comes back on-line it should spot the waiting print job and hopefully does it.

also check out this page> http://support.lexmark.com/index?pag...erlocale=EN_US
    Last edited by t34b4g5; December 19th, 2009 at 04:40 AM.

If you have cups installed....try opening this up in your web broswer: localhost:631. This should bring up the CUPS administration page. It could be that Fedora is "holding" your print jobs. I believe you can release them by using the "printer" tab at the top of the page.

If you want to empty this que manually from the commandline, as the user root do the following:

cd /var/spool/cups

get rid of all those files but leave the tmp directory. Next goto

cd /etc/init.d and restart cups daemon

./cup* restart

or just maybe the printer needs to be reset and computer needs to be restarted
    Last edited by Linen0ise; December 19th, 2009 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyNet View Post
    I already scanned a few things and it copied just fine
    This is a good sign. I sees the scanner feature. If you have the graphics program "gimp" installed. Under file| create, you should see your printer setup for scanning.

You can do a 'lsusb" on the command line to see if it detects your printer under it's righteous name.
    Last edited by Linen0ise; December 19th, 2009 at 05:12 AM.

Ok. After so much research, a lot of coffee, and Panadol pills for my headache I finally got the printer to work. It was the SELinux that was not letting it print. It's called Security-Enhanced Linux (SELinux) and it is a Linux feature that provides a mechanism for supporting access control security policies. This Linux feature was the problem of it all. After debbugging and sending bug reports I had to relocate a few files before I can do any printing.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Salmos 23:4 Aunque ande en el valle de sombra profunda, no temo nada malo, porque tu estas conmigo; tu vara y cayado son las cosas que me consuelan.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyNet View Post
    It's called Security-Enhanced Linux (SELinux) and it is a Linux feature that provides a mechanism for supporting access control security policies.
    Ain't that a blip! Thanks for the feedback. I'm in the process of backing up my system and trying 64-bit Fedora again. They don't do things the normal linux way. Either that or I am behind the times.

Linen let us know how your fedora visit goes.

Ok. I remember now why I dumped Suse and Fedora. KDE 4.0 does not place nice with my older desktop configuration -- the perfect desktop. My rig uses mostly KDE 3.x with bits and pieces of KDE 4.0 to just run apps. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Believe it or not, I was leaning toward Windnow 7 Enterprise with raid1 but I have a game that "locks" up the computer and reboots. I don't think that is good with a software raid. The lockup is pretty common according to the internet and the company never fixed it.