Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reiserfs partition corrupted

Angry reiserfs partition corrupted

hi guys, happy new year, it's been a while...

i have a root reiserfs partition abt 13 GB, that seem to have been totally corrupted (unable to boot it anymore).

it began with a mysterious disk-space issue, i had about 500 MB free,
    using df -h, I noticed that it would rapidly decrease from abt 500 to a few KBs, without apparent reason.

now, i tried to fix it using reiserfsck, then reiserfsck --rebuild-tree, where fixed some things, but it stopped past PASS 1 b/c insufficient diskspace, at that point i was unable to mount/boot it anymore.

does anyone know of a possible way to still rescue it? any program/procedure ?

any help is appreciated.

slackware 11
    The second step on the way to become a hacker is to run GNU/Linux. (first step is to buy a computer)
    My old skewl http://www.skoz.nl/spelevaert/

Did you have / and /swap as the only partitions? If /var is not on it's own partition, it CAN take up and fill the root drive pretty quick, but it shouldn't do 300 MBs like that unless you were running a server.

Have you had a look at /var/log?

I know it's possible to fill quick, I set up Slackware 13.0 on an OLD machine as a secondary FTP server and transferred over 50 GBs to it in an hour.

yeah, /var was in the same partition, and im starting to get afraid that /home was there too :S since i can't locate it in my backups, but it was like in seconds, the whole partition gets full, i mean it got to be a problem with the filesystem.

however, my main problem now is try find a way to repair it other that reiserfsck stuff,

cheers

EDIT:no it's not a server just for personal use. that's weird
    Last edited by HackerzMaster; January 5th, 2010 at 07:58 PM.
    The second step on the way to become a hacker is to run GNU/Linux. (first step is to buy a computer)

Quote Originally Posted by HackerzMaster View Post
    however, my main problem now is try find a way to repair it other that reiserfsck stuff,

cheers
    Again.... are you running a server or have a Media Center setup? You never told us what you're running. Could be a file permission problem. If you have scheduled recordings setup with the DVR setup, delete all those high-def mpegs. Those could suck the life out your rig.

Try the following:
    1. boot with a livecd; login at the console
    2. Try to mount the suspected partition; 'fsck' to repair
    3. after mount, delete huge files in your /tmp in root and do the same for each account you have setup. Using the filemanager in GUI can quickly find those files by name and date using the search feature.
    4. Surgery: In your home directory, view hidden files. Delete everything in .Trash -- guessing your setup.
    5. You can regain some file space by deleting .gz or .zip files inside /var/logs

[5] Keep your home directories off the system partition.

Hmmmm,

A Slackware 11 root partition of 13Gb..............that sounds rather excessive to me, what else is in there? I don't know Slackware, but I can run Windows 2000 quite happily on a 2.1Gb HDD?

Have you tried booting with a live CD and see if you could get into the partition? If you can, you might try moving stuff into another partition to create more space. Or just temporarily save it onto a DVD or USB drive.

I guess the first thing I would do in these circumstances is get the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run that. When strange things like this happen right out of the blue it frequently means that the HDD is on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    I guess the first thing I would do in these circumstances is get the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run that. When strange things like this happen right out of the blue it frequently means that the HDD is on the way out.
    Keep it simple. If that HDD is S.M.A.R.T. it can tell right away if it's dieing. For the OP....on the commandline 'ls /usr/bin | grep smart'.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1230268 Apr 7 2009 gsmartcontrol*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2871 Apr 7 2009 gsmartcontrol-root*

gsmartcontrol can give you a status on all your active HDD's
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Linen0ise; January 5th, 2010 at 08:29 PM.

hi there,
    it's not a file permission problem the partition is messsed up.
    used a live cd, and no mounting, and as i said im now only concerned about recovering it.
    the thing happened when rebuild-tree froze in the middle, (i was told this is a serious thing)

EDIT: im running now on a windows partition on the same hd, have similar issues, with disk-space.
    but what i need now is any advice on recovering the reiserfs partition.

EDIT: no media centre or anything, just regular use, couple of movies that's all
    cheers
    Last edited by HackerzMaster; January 5th, 2010 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HackerzMaster View Post
    what i need now is any advice on recovering the reiserfs partition.

cheers
    Try this from the liveCD

reiserfstune --no-journal-available <disk>

allows reiserfstune to continue when the current journal's block device is no longer available. This might
    happen if a disk goes bad and you remove it (and run fsck).

Hope you get your stuff back

will try this and get back,

Before you pull the life support on that HDD, search for a low-level disk tool that allows you to flash or reset all stored "bad" blocks it think it has. I forgot what you call those programs but I know they exist. You probably need to check the drive company's download section for that drive model.