Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: keylogger problem

keylogger problem

My ex recently borrowed my laptop and I think he's spying on me cos I discovered a keylogger installed on my laptop.I confronted him yesterday and he denied it.Am also suspicious because he has been contacting my friends who he doesn't even know and has never met..via info that could have only been obtained if someone had access to my email account.What should I do?

Greetz.

Could you please let us know what Operating System you are using? also do you have access to another computer?

If you do then i would change all your passwords and secret questions etc just incase he has been able to capture login credentials.

also if you have enough PC experience then i would recommend that you back up important documents, and format the laptop, and re-install your Operating system and make sure you have updated firewall and Anti Virrii and do regular scans.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Alternatively, ask a local computer shop to do what t34b4g5 had suggested if you are not confident yourself. It should not be all that expensive, but after all, are you willing to put a price on security and privacy?

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

I would immediately change all login credentials, but on another machine, or only after you are certain you have removed it. If he did in fact put that key logger on your machine, and you've logged into anything since, he undoubtedly has that info.

On top of everything that the others have told you, I would suggest making regular backups of your information. Keep daily backups for at least 3 days, weekly backups for at least 3 weeks, and monthly backups for at least 3 months.

This way, if your ex ever gets a hold of your laptop again, you can use those backups to restore to a point before he borrowed it.

You may also want to contact your local law enforcement agency and see what options you have. I would do this before you remove the keylogger and reformat the computer (just in case they need the evidence).

And most importantly, since he is your "ex" and you know that he may have done this this time (coincidence aside), don't ever let him use your stuff again. (Sorry for stating the obvious)

Have a great day
    Patrick.

Hmm, looks like a Mac?

You can also spy on your wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend who has Mac machine. Just put the keylogger mac on his computer. It helps you discover the truth from cheating spouses. Now with the keylogger for Mac he/she can’t hide anymore.
    That would be totally illegal in many countries unless you owned the machine.

You might like to check your local legislation on that matter?

This is a fairly common thing. I can't even count the number of girls I know who think that an ex BF is harmless, even if they say things that throw up warning flags.

I've seen guys who were dumped, trying to do everything from constant phone calls, to things like this. I can't understand even a little how it is that a girl can think someone is harmless until it's too late.

PLEASE take this as a warning, and if you're anything like the girls I know, you'll simply say "Oh I can handle it" and whatever else those denial phrases ensue.

I don't understand why girls always think they can handle something, and that a guy actually understands that it's over. You're not helping yourself by letting him borrow your machine. And finding a keylogger?

He's probably trying to get into your email accounts to see if you're saying anything about him, or if you're seeing someone else.

This is classic stalker behavior, and you NEED to contact the police, and do everything you can, to keep him away. Most females don't seem to understand just ho far an ex will go, or how crazy love can make someone.

Most females don't seem to understand just ho far an ex will go, or how crazy love can make someone.
    I have been in the situation of the one I love just up and leaving.... and years later looking back on how I reacted and handled the situation I can only say that the emotion love mimics insanity in too many ways to be trusted.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

I think every guy here who's had a GF at one point could say that. We've all done stupid things for girls. And then we look back and think "Man, what was I thinking? I was acting totally nuts!".

I know I've done it. And I also have female friends who would say "Oh, I can handle him" or worse "He's harmless, I can handle it" which is stupid of course. Girls always want a guy to need them and then when they do, they call them a stalker, or worse, and once it's over a girl assumes ANY guy will just be over it and that's it. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted a little time in a dark alley with some of these asses who a girl said they could handle it.

Thanks for the backup Gore Naturally, this is a human condition, however I think it takes something more to admit to it.

I also entirely agree with the comment that girls want a man who needs them, but strangely once a man truly needs the woman, typically the woman loses interest..... truly ironic.

CTO
    - Albert Einstein