Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 3.6 gmail

Firefox 3.6 gmail

Evidently FF 3.6 has some problems with gmail. It works at first, but the says 'Problem loading page'. Anyone else having this issue? Seems as though other pages work fine.

I just helped one of my co-workers roll back to 3.5.7, and it is working fine again.

Found this page as well:

http://support.mozilla.com/no/forum/1/566811
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

There is a fix to this problem already. You can find it here if you like:

http://www.opera.com/

(Jokes aside, I've heard of quite a few problems people have been having not just with Firefox updates, but with Firefox and it's ability to do Gmail properly, and sending them a message saying you have an issue, or asking them for help, doesn't seem to be getting results. Either they're totally ignoring people asking for help, and ignoring the bug reports, or, they're working very hard on trying to figure out what happened).

Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    There is a fix to this problem already. You can find it here if you like:

http://www.opera.com/

(Jokes aside, I've heard of quite a few problems people have been having not just with Firefox updates, but with Firefox and it's ability to do Gmail properly, and sending them a message saying you have an issue, or asking them for help, doesn't seem to be getting results. Either they're totally ignoring people asking for help, and ignoring the bug reports, or, they're working very hard on trying to figure out what happened).
    LOL. I would use Opera, if our webmail for work would display properly in it.

Seriously, how hard is it to code a site to be compatible with multiple browsers? I can't blame Opera for pages not displaying correctly, but at the same time, I don't want to have to switch between browsers for different sets of pages I am viewing.

For instance, I was helping our accounts lady today, and found out that the online banking she uses will only work in IE. Which I find to be completely ridiculous. We decided to set her up with a computer that will be just for banking, no email, no browsing, no thumbdrives, etc... so I set her up with Linux... but neither FF or Opera would display the page correctly. So just as a test, I put FF on her XP machine, and it didn't display properly there either. I am not just talking about a few things moved around. All functionality of the page was lost.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

I find that kind of thing disgusting too. When a page says it REQUIRES Internet Explorer, I can't stand that. I remember when I was in class, they had an online classes thing for the school I went to, and at first, when they had set it up, it would only work in IE, and even if you did have Windows, no other browser would work. I went to the school and asked them why they wold set up a page where anyone who didn't have a Windows PC couldn't use it, and pointed out there were some Mac users, and that not everyone with a PC ran Windows, and at first I got no response because they didn't care really as long as tuition was paid, but after a while, people stopped paying for classes they couldn't do, and they changed it. One time, I couldn't use Windows IE, or Firefox on Windows, and Linux worked. But yea I've seen that kind of stuff before, it's stupid.

Here come the fan boys

OPERA RULES

There they go..

Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

OK, I have just created a Google mail account and will try it out.

I had a lot of problems with FF 3.5 up to 3.5.3 so now I download it to a thumbdrive first, then install it. I always keep the last working version so that I can quickly revert if needs be

I will also try BTInternet and Yahoo!

It does strike me as weird as FF 3.6.0 is only just out of beta, and G-Mail is a very popular application. I would have thought they would have spotted problems before now, particularly with XP SP3 which is currently the most common Windows deployment?

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    We decided to set her up with a computer that will be just for banking, no email, no browsing, no thumbdrives, etc... so I set her up with Linux...

Good call Westin. Keep those corporate computers off the Internet!
    I AM... THE WOLFMAN!!
    The Wolfman's Homepage: http://www.fangtastic.org
    Do you dig the Wolfman?? Sign his Ghoulbook or listen to him Howl

OK, so far on XP Pro SP3 (fully patched) I haven't managed to provoke this issue. I will keep on testing for a couple of days and try it on a different machine as well as with Win 2000.

Things like this generally have me thinking of firewall and security product incompatibilities, but that wouldn't explain why it works to begin with.

I am wondering if it is something to do with residual cookies perhaps?

EDIT:

For instance, I was helping our accounts lady today, and found out that the online banking she uses will only work in IE.
    Does it work with IE8? The reason I ask is that I was on the MS update site the other day and noticed that there was some sort of compatibility add-on for IE8 to make it display "old" websites properly.

So just as a test, I put FF on her XP machine, and it didn't display properly there either. I am not just talking about a few things moved around. All functionality of the page was lost.
    Can you still get that IE compatibility plugin for FF?
    Last edited by nihil; January 30th, 2010 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    OK, so far on XP Pro SP3 (fully patched) I haven't managed to provoke this issue. I will keep on testing for a couple of days and try it on a different machine as well as with Win 2000.

Things like this generally have me thinking of firewall and security product incompatibilities, but that wouldn't explain why it works to begin with.

I am wondering if it is something to do with residual cookies perhaps?

EDIT:

Does it work with IE8? The reason I ask is that I was on the MS update site the other day and noticed that there was some sort of compatibility add-on for IE8 to make it display "old" websites properly.

Can you still get that IE compatibility plugin for FF?
    I am almost positive that she does have IE8. [Almost ]

The last compatibility extension I can recall for FF was 'IETab', where you would right click on a link, and it would open as if it were running in IE. I think they stopped putting that out a couple of years ago. If there is another addon/extension, I would love to hear about it.

For now, I am going to go play in the snow.

-HST

For now, I am going to go play in the snow.
    Hah!.................I am several (5-6?) hours ahead of you...........already been and done that.........and put new (visible) food out for the birds

The last compatibility extension I can recall for FF was 'IETab', where you would right click on a link, and it would open as if it were running in IE. I think they stopped putting that out a couple of years ago. If there is another addon/extension, I would love to hear about it.
    Yes, I have just checked it.............last update was June 2009 and that version will not work with FF6

I guess that we will have to wait a bit....?????????