Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Archived Text Files

you won't be able to download them as you need to log in.
    And you won't be able to do that because it won't recognise your user profile

the anticode.com domain was still active and working when JP owned the place.
    Actually it wasn't...............certainly not "active" towards the end.........it was just a repository for odds and ends and archived stuff like the obsolete text files (most of which seem to be .zips) and the archived downloads.

then Jupitermedia took over, and slowly screwed the place up.
    Actually they turned it into a respectable, professional IT Security and Support site, rather than the skiddiewink site that it had gained a reputation as.

They bought something they didn't know/understand how to market correctly.
    Well they certainly had more expertise that the amateur who sold it for a pittance?

Unfortunately, skiddiewink sites don't generate advertising revenue as skiddiewinks have no purchasing power or influence. Jupitermedia knew what they were doing.

when we switched from Jp's vbulletin version to the default vbulletin 3.* version at lot of stuff was not ported over.
    No, I am sure that anticode.antionline.com material went quite a bit earlier, as I have said. If you look at the current (discussion forum) domain of the period you will see that those links just aren't there?

JPV's problem was that he had no knowledge of the realities of senior IT management, procurement, development, design or architecture. He broke one of the fundamental rules by purchasing a closed source proprietary product and bastardising its inner workings.

If you decide to take this route then you must make sure of one of two things:

1. The modifications are made by the vendor and you have a support contract for YOUR version.

2. You maintain the staff to support the modifications yourself. In which case make sure that you have the source and systems documentation, and keep it up to date.

The preferred approach would be to ringfence the core application and build add-ons, plug-ins, and interfaces; knowing that you would be responsible for systems integration each time the product was upgraded. You could then upgrade the core product, but would need to keep a close eye on the integration issues.

However, JPV and his little elves went their own way

The net result was that we ended up with a system that couldn't be updated using the vendor's software as it would crash. And the trouble with little elves is that they discover beer, wimmin (or blokes) and purchasing power (or retail therapy) and clear off

So, there was no way we could use any updating tools...........we had to do it all by hand.........a very daunting task................

As you will see from the waybackmachine. just like the tools & toys link from the front page got taken away during the upgrade. Just never got put back.
    No, that was deliberate...........stuff that didn't work (IP Locator) was just wrong (site statistics), or just did not fit on the front page of a professional site, were removed. Basically, the front page was far too crowded with links that were just irrelevant or obsolete (AO in the news, archived downloads, etc.). As for "Tools & Toys"...............errr............... a link to two poxy DOS games belongs on the front page?

The main problem or loss from the upgrade was that because the later version used a quite different mapping convention from our bastardised version, we lost internal links to posts/threads, and correct mapping of polls to threads.

I am not entirely sure, but I think that we lost attachments for the same reason. I know the current size limits are smaller but I cannot imagine the system retrospectively deleting them, and I haven't found a single one that is still there.

Just my perspective on things

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    SNIP
    reserving this space for my response waiting for it to be proof read and OK'd before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by HYBR|D View Post
    reserving this space for my response waiting for it to be proof read and OK'd before posting.
    lol. I just usually scan trough four the read squiggly lines. As long as I don't sea any of hose, I no I did nut spell anything wrong.
    Last edited by westin; February 25th, 2010 at 11:53 PM.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

I don't need proof readers or approval.............

I type it correctly to begin with, and have the right to my opinions, just like any other AO member.

And I think that people who run ghey pr0n sites are POS.......particularly as that business venture failed as well

I really don't have any time for people who are legends in their own imagination: JPV, Ankit Fadia, Carol Menier......etc.

IT has moved on, and these people are history now...............a somewhat sordid part of it IMO.

And you won't be able to do that because it won't recognise your user profile

Actually it wasn't...............certainly not "active" towards the end.........it was just a repository for odds and ends and archived stuff like the obsolete text files (most of which seem to be .zips) and the archived downloads.
    Actually they turned it into a respectable, professional IT Security and Support site, rather than the skiddiewink site that it had gained a reputation as.
    This isn't true. A great deal of the "professionals" left when it went to jup media. Secondly, the "reputation" you are citing had always been flagrant - antioffline, etc.

Well they certainly had more expertise that the amateur who sold it for a pittance?
    amateur? care to qualify?

Unfortunately, skiddiewink sites don't generate advertising revenue as skiddiewinks have no purchasing power or influence. Jupitermedia knew what they were doing.
    yeah apparently the "skiddiewinks" had garnered a reputation for the capacity for "purchasing power" or "influence" as it was bought for a large sum.

No, I am sure that anticode.antionline.com material went quite a bit earlier, as I have said. If you look at the current (discussion forum) domain of the period you will see that those links just aren't there?
    JPV's problem was that he had no knowledge of the realities of senior IT management, procurement, development, design or architecture. He broke one of the fundamental rules by purchasing a closed source proprietary product and bastardising its inner workings.
    well that's another bold unqualified statement. vranesevich did, he just didn't really care.

If you decide to take this route then you must make sure of one of two things:

1. The modifications are made by the vendor and you have a support contract for YOUR version.

2. You maintain the staff to support the modifications yourself. In which case make sure that you have the source and systems documentation, and keep it up to date.

The preferred approach would be to ringfence the core application and build add-ons, plug-ins, and interfaces; knowing that you would be responsible for systems integration each time the product was upgraded. You could then upgrade the core product, but would need to keep a close eye on the integration issues.

However, JPV and his little elves went their own way

The net result was that we ended up with a system that couldn't be updated using the vendor's software as it would crash. And the trouble with little elves is that they discover beer, wimmin (or blokes) and purchasing power (or retail therapy) and clear off

So, there was no way we could use any updating tools...........we had to do it all by hand.........a very daunting task................

No, that was deliberate...........stuff that didn't work (IP Locator) was just wrong (site statistics), or just did not fit on the front page of a professional site, were removed. Basically, the front page was far too crowded with links that were just irrelevant or obsolete (AO in the news, archived downloads, etc.). As for "Tools & Toys"...............errr............... a link to two poxy DOS games belongs on the front page?

The main problem or loss from the upgrade was that because the later version used a quite different mapping convention from our bastardised version, we lost internal links to posts/threads, and correct mapping of polls to threads.

I am not entirely sure, but I think that we lost attachments for the same reason. I know the current size limits are smaller but I cannot imagine the system retrospectively deleting them, and I haven't found a single one that is still there.

Just my perspective on things
    These are also Nihil's opinions, as he says. Granted, his opinions have not only diverged greatly as years have went on, but his personal relationship with JP/Brad etc. was lax and unrelative to this conversation. Albeit he may be correct about some or a lot of what he says, the direct references to JP are largely unreliable.

p.s., it's cute really...

4-8 years ago, it used to be "40 members* online, and 100 guests*, now its 1 member online, 60 guests.." - The triumph of IT over the skiddies rules.
    Last edited by er0k; March 11th, 2010 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    I don't need proof readers or approval.............

I type it correctly to begin with, and have the right to my opinions, just like any other AO member.

And I think that people who run ghey pr0n sites are POS.......particularly as that business venture failed as well

I really don't have any time for people who are legends in their own imagination: JPV, Ankit Fadia, Carol Menier......etc.

IT has moved on, and these people are history now...............a somewhat sordid part of it IMO.
    of course you have "the right to your opinions" this is the internet, and you happen to mod the site - not exactly a place to where you can't say whatever you want. but thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Taking a shot at JP for being gay and running a business(es) in an area of his own interest is lame and weak. In no way does this discredit abilities or reputation outside of gay hate.

Legends in their own imagination? A legend is also a person who impacted their time, not just the future.

Indeed, brilliant, IT has moved on from where it was 10+ years ago.

battleship game.. omg.. i forgot all about that..

hey you sunk my battleship

consider it sunk. how are things down under?