March 2nd, 2010, 09:45 AM
Here are a few ideas on fixing USB problems:
1. Disable and re-enable all USB controllers. Go into Device Manager and take the uninstall option for each one in turn, then do a cold reboot.
2. Use Device Manager to uninstall your USB drivers, then do a cold reboot and let Windows reinstall them.
3.Turn off "allow USB to bring computer out of standby".
>Device Manager > usb root hub > properties > power management
4. Disable the selective suspend feature. Fixit is here: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9643528
5. Look in the BIOS to see what the USB support settings are. Try changing them to see if it makes a difference.
6. Check the MoBo manufacturer for a BIOS update
Go into Control Panel > Power Options and select the "Always On" power scheme, and see if that makes a difference. You might also have power management options to turn off in the BIOS. What I am suggesting is to turn off all power saving options such that only you should be able to turn off the computer. If that does not temporarily resolve the problem then I would say that it is probably not power management based, although it could be your USB management software.
It is interesting that the iPod doesn't provoke the problem............could that be because it has an independent power supply? Can you check this with another powered device such as an external HDD, router, printer, camera, or whatever?
I wouldn't entirely rule out a power issue just yet, even though your USB extension did not have a device attached, it still consumes power, albeit in small quantities.
Last edited by nihil; March 2nd, 2010 at 11:26 AM.
If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?
By cheyenne1212 in forum Miscellaneous Security Discussions
Last Post: February 1st, 2012, 02:51 PM
By ai0070 in forum Miscellaneous Security Discussions
Last Post: October 19th, 2004, 12:21 AM
By gore in forum Operating Systems
Last Post: March 7th, 2004, 08:02 AM
By ali1 in forum The Security Tutorials Forum
Last Post: January 1st, 2004, 11:59 AM
Last Post: July 15th, 2002, 04:46 AM