Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for change?

Time for change?

The vainglorious British government.............which will be replaced in May....is still thrashing like a dying dinosaur:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communicatio...0057470,00.htm

They really do like to mess with things they don't understand?

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    They really do like to mess with things they don't understand?
    Much like many governments world wide... However, Information Technology is a fairly new concept that has only begun to be enforced by law, or has only recently had laws written specifically for IT.

As with anything new, getting laws and conditions that are secure and actually work is a trial and error process? Inevitably laws will be changed over time to suit the public outcry, the specific circumstances that should not be covered by such laws and simply because some laws are rediculous to enforce.

This new law could be considered as a 'start' with securing wifi and curbing copywrite infringement, which over time will be refined as a more suitable guideline.

Also, I believe that the law is there to protect society as a collective, not an idividual. Which sucks for all the individuals out there, even if they are part of society. By this statement, ALL laws infringe an individual while society is held outside of consequence.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Very nicely put!

Why is it that I think this has something to do with replenishing the "war chest" of an ailing British political party?

But with the conservative party in power will anything really change? Politicians are snake oil salesmen. They're all for the speaker in there party, till they elope to the other-side!

All you can do is vote and find out.................unless you really want more of Gordon Brown and his lacklustre peers?

Does this mean that all the coffee shops will have to go out of business???
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Does this mean that all the coffee shops will have to go out of business???
    I am afraid that would seem to be the case, at least as far as free WiFi hotspots are concerned.

Problem is that it doesn't only affect coffee shops, which are pretty scarce anyways..............the big impact will be on burger bars, pubs, hotels and our PUBLIC LIBRARIES.

The only vaguely positive thing I can see is that whilst it might have a slightly detrimental effect on education, it should promote a healthier lifestyle?

These people are total morons for even thinking that trying to ban torrents will work...........................they don't even appreciate the amount of stuff that goes through binary newsgroups or peer group sharing.

That is just ridiculous. It's a tremendous service to offer your customers or patrons. Last time I was roped into jury duty, the single greatest change was that they now offered WiFi access. I was there three days and didn't miss time off work.

The really galling thing is that there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that these public services are being abused significantly.

Actually, there is a positive disincentive in most cases..............hanging about outside and you will probably get picked up for loitering............go inside and you have to buy product every now and then. Anyway, the weather in this country is so crap you wouldn't want to have a nice laptop exposed outdoors, and where they are located there are usually parking restrictions so you couldn't stay that long

As for libraries, they are only open for relatively short periods when people are not at work or school.

If there is a problem it will be with insecure private WiFi hotspots, and most of that would be the way it is marketed and the crappy equipment supplied by the Telcos/ISPs.

It is time these people awakened to the reality that they cannot stop it, and looked to set their own house in order.
    Last edited by nihil; March 23rd, 2010 at 07:58 PM.

You don't have to convince me of that. Last trip over, my luggage was so soaked upon return that I didn't know whether to throw it out or stock it with trout.