Rare problem installing Windows

Thread: Rare problem installing Windows

Rare problem installing Windows

Hello to everyone. I recently bought a new laptop (Compaq CQ40-621LA). As always, I was going to install Win XP to then install Linux Mint. But muy surprise is 3 minutes after the Windows Installations runs the infamous blue screen with the "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" message appears. I installed Linux Mint without problem, I even make the ntfs partition from there but the blue screen continues.

I have tried other Windows CD installation, but none works, please help.

And thanks in advance for any advise.

Hi,

How far into the actual installation do you get..............do you get as far as F6 to install additional drivers/RAID?

I know there are problems with XP and SATA drives................remember XP is a 2001 operating system, and doesn't natively support SATA like Vista & 7 (or recent Linux distros).

Indeed it is a driver problem. I will install Windows 7. Thanks for the reply.

Hi,

Apart from the driver for the SATA controller you would need drivers for the sound and video chipsets and possibly some of the other onboard (wireless, USB etc?) items.

Windows 7 would seem to be the most straightforward approach

If anyone really wants to install XP on a new machine then this is how I do it:

1. Conduct a hardware inventory
    2. Collect the latest XP drivers for the hardware items
    3. Get nLite and create a slipstreamed XP SP3 CD with the drivers included

http://www.nliteos.com/

4. Install XP
    5. Update XP

Also a quick method is to install a third driver update utility, then its just a case of clicking find updated driver, instead of having to search for them all individually by hand.

HYBR|D
    Enter BIOS menu and change disc detection from "SATA/SCHI" you need to change it to "IDE"

save changes and reboot & run installer normally. Leave the new disc detection setting to "IDE"

Sometimes i really have doubts about some people's credentials..

Sometimes i really have doubts about some people's credentials..
    Fortunately, I have no such doubts. My suspicions have been totally confirmed

Enter BIOS menu and change disc detection from "SATA/SCHI" you need to change it to "IDE" save changes and reboot & run installer normally. Leave the new disc detection setting to "IDE"
    Congratulations! unless you have some intervening plug-in to your OSes, they will all run your super SATA drives in PATA compatibility mode...........err...... like RAM.......... everything downgrades to the lowest common denominator.

If Windows XP didn't need drivers for SATA controllers, nobody would have written any

If you mess with BIOS then you affect all operating systems that read it..........so the more modern Linuxes would revert to PATA as well.

Ah! I forgot............everyone buys a Ferrari and wants to run it in first gear on 83 octane fuel?

You said you were installing XP to then install Mint? Why? If you're going to install Linux only, which, if you weren't trying you'd have probably said you would install XP AND Mint, why not just boot from the Linux CD?

gore,

I think that you are misunderstanding the OP's intentions (he appears to live in South America).................he wants a dual boot machine?

He mentions that he created an NTFS partition from his Linux installation, so that must work. He also says that he is now going for Windows 7, which you would not do if you only wanted Linux.

I must admit I would have tried it his way as well, if only because Windows is so damn picky about multi-boot installations. Even if I intended to use Linux as the primary OS, I would load Windows first, then let the Linux boot manager take over. Traditionally, Windows boot managers won't support non-Windows installations; although I haven't tried it with Vista or 7.

Last edited by nihil; March 4th, 2010 at 09:30 AM.

I didn't check where, it was the wording he used that made me think otherwise. If someone is gonna install XP then Linux, if I'm not using Windows, I don't install it first, but I do have two or three dual boot machines here, and on those, I ALWAYS install Windows THEN whatever OS I want next.

The Windows 7 loader doesn't seem to be able to handle anything else yet either. I've got it on ONE new machine, which I got for Christmas, and it has Slackware too, but Windows couldn't seem to handle much. Apparently it IS possible though, I read somewhere that it's supposed to be able to support something else now.