Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Forum Declines?

I'm for antipoints if they're used correctly. It seemed like many people abused them over the years, and now I don't notice people using them as much. I know its kind of like hoping for a utopia in a way. Theres going to be abuse. But it did set AO apart from any other forums I've used before. As for their prominence when the site was more active and having to do with the decline I'm not sure, but bringing back their use is definitely a possible way to bring people to AO. If there were just a way to minimize the abuse. Also, it was much better when you could see who gave you points. I think it was stupid when they stopped showing up. (i know there was an issue with getting it to work with the new forum software)

I know I was a little paranoid when I joined that I would get negged for posting something stupid, but I don't think I'm normal. But at the same time it's still probably good to give the impression that you have to do something really stupid to get negged.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Anybody for antipoints?

When they were prominent the site was much more active; as soon as they faded into the background, activity declined markedly
    I liked antipoints back in the day, but once you got about 4 billion then it didnt matter who hit you with their negative antipoints. Nice thread though and a bit of a blast from the past. For myself, I moved on to other things. (Having more fun brewing beer and farting around with other hobbies in my spare time now than messing around with computers) Its still nice to check back from time to time.

Gores antipoint banning stick back in the day though was nice for the trolls if a mod wasnt around.

Last Edit: Gaming forum would be nice.
    Last edited by CXGJarrod; May 28th, 2010 at 02:29 AM.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Havent read everything but this is the only place I post for help. Wont dare go anywhere else other than technet, msdn.

I play WOW and yes, every second person is getting hacked. Dont know how many people I have spoken to about computer security etc etc.

One person got hacked so I asked what their password was and they made it qwerty400, I mean come on ...

So I vote yes, to a gaming section. We could go into great details about how to protect yourself with online gaming. We could also keep up with the latest malware spreads through these means (keyloggers etc).
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I think that it might be useful to have a "gaming security" sub-forum. I don't do it myself, but I hear from friends that it is a real and present problem, and that their regular forums don't deal with it...............?

We really do have to move with the times, don't we?

Just my personal view, of course.

I don't see any issue with having a forum dealing with gaming security. It may bring in a lot of users with 1 or 2 posts, but some may stay. Regardless, I think it would increase activity here.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Will also bring alot of idiots too :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cider View Post
    Will also bring alot of idiots too :P
    I think there will always be idiots. I haven't been here that long, but AO was still more active when I started hanging around. And there were plenty of people asking stupid h4X0r questions. Almost daily if I remember correctly. I think a gamer forum would just add different idiots. but with those idiots, there may come people who might have interesting insights, and might actually know something haha

Bringing idiots is part of the territory. You're going to have stupid people on forums when the topic has to do with something everyone is willing to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on that they don't know a thing about. Think about it; How many products are there in the World, where people are willing to spend thousands of dollars on it, and yet know nothing about it?

Besides, we can deal with idiots. They aren't THAT hard to get rid of. And sometimes they add entertainment value