Thread: Lookinf for something (dunno if it exists)

Lookinf for something (dunno if it exists)

Hi,

I have a wireless router which I want to use to give people in a place, lets say a cafe for talkings sake access to internet.

The router its self is pants having only 2mb flash so DD-WRT is out of the question.

Is there any solution which will if set as default gateway for the wireless router allow me to do a bit of configuration and logging then proxy the traffic out.

I am not intrested in solutions which involve mollesting browsers connection settings etc, it must be a minimum fuss solution e.g connect to access point and the rest is transparent and painless for the user.

I am aware I could fire a linux box together to do it with 2 network cards but am curious if there is any freebie windows thingimibob (that works) and will do the job.

I would just drop $20 on ebay and get a wrt54g* router, that will support DD-WRT. [In fact, I just did that last week! ]
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

What make/model of router is it Mark?........I have a couple that basically don't let you configure anything at all; they are effectively just glorified ADSL modems

EDIT:

Please think about the legislation that our (vain)glorious "new labour" government is trying to pass right now........... "Lord Mandelbot and co."

This will have a direct impact on public wireless provision..........even our bloody libraries!!!

It could impact on your solution; depending on its deployment?
    Last edited by nihil; April 17th, 2010 at 07:21 AM.