Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parallel to USB Adapter

Parallel to USB Adapter

What's up AntiOnline?

I've given up on Nihil's One Interesting Post a Day for Twenty-Eight Days Challenge - I'm just not that interesting anymore...

However, I came across an interesting problem on another forum, and I was hoping some of the gurus here could help this gentleman out.

The man needs a parallel to USB adapter - not to be confused with a USB to parallel adapter which are easily obtainable and commonly used to hook up newer computers to older printers - those do not work both ways.

The original thread is here: http://www.computerforum.com/173158-...-port-usb.html

I suggested this http://www.universalpart.com/Paralle...item_4788.html, to which he replied:

Yea something like that could work... I am not sure. However, it has the wrong USB interface and so would not be able to be plugged into a computer.
    For me alone it would be much cheaper to just buy a PCI parallel card, agreed. However, this is a bit of reasearch for my Grandfathers company who design and build the previously mentioned instruments. It would cost millions to redesign their motherboards to have a USB port and to write the code to drive them.... therefore, if a correct Parallel to USB could be found it would be a much cheaper alternative to just simply ship one out with each instrument to the customer.
    If you can help him out, please post here and I'll relay the message and give you full credit, or if you're signed up on ComputerForum.com then you could post there as well...

Thanks guys!
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

I've given up on Nihil's One Interesting Post a Day for Twenty-Eight Days Challenge - I'm just not that interesting anymore...
    180 were challenged by Travis to die............"and the thirteen days of glory at the siege of Alamo"

Hoy! Texican!

Samuel Houston is watching?

And the "Northern War Of Economic Aggression" ain't over 'till the fat lady sings.......................

Don't get it wrong - I'm all about Texas pride... but, hey, if I got nothing to say, I've got nothing to say...

If you want me to fight outnumbered against a bunch of Mexicans, I say bring it on!

But remember - you don't fight one bean, but the whole burrito!

On a side note - do you have any advice on the adapter?

Okay, Ive done a bit of looking around and it seems he wants a transfer cable, which kinda look exactly like the first suggestion you had.

http://www.worldofcables.com/store/v...?idProduct=582
    Last edited by chaosclown; April 1st, 2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: better link :D

Quote Originally Posted by wiskic10_4 View Post
    Don't get it wrong - I'm all about Texas pride... but, hey, if I got nothing to say, I've got nothing to say...

If you want me to fight outnumbered against a bunch of Mexicans, I say bring it on!

But remember - you don't fight one bean, but the whole burrito!

On a side note - do you have any advice on the adapter?
    Ohhhhhhh aren't we being a Quesadildo today

Some of my best friends ever are Mexican, so I'm one of the only gringos in my area with a free contract to use words that normally would get your beaten lol. A friend of mine who used to be around every day I called Wheat Bread and he'd call me White Bread, and we thought it was funny, but one day at the mall or some store, I was like "Hey there's that Taco Cricket I've been looking for!" and like 5 people looked like they wanted to kill me until he said "No, seriously, it's OK, he's not a racist against anyone, that's just how we talk, it's OK".

For 4 years I didn't even know those were like derogatory terms because I hadn't ever been told otherwise and was so used to calling him that.

Two years ago, I was playing a Magic: The Gathering Tournament, and the guy I was playing was like totally cool, and we started talking about our childhoods and stuff, and I told him that story, and he said that he was Mexican and German, and without skipping a beat, I spit out "Oh wow can I call you Beaner Schnitzel!?!?!?!?!?!?!?" and he almost fell down laughing. (Because Wiener Schnitzel sounds a whole lot like Beaner Schnitzel so it was funny).

I guess the area I live in doesn't take some words as harsh, even more so when they make everyone laugh. We went out to smoke in between a match and his girlfriend was there too, and he came up to my Wife and I and introduced her and we got along really well, and she said when she heard me say that, she laughed so hard she too about fell down laughing.

To this day whenever I see him, I call him that and he still laughs because it was just spur of the moment and pretty funny. I actually giggled while I was typing this out because I still think it's funny.

Being Mostly German / Irish it's a little harder to think of funny slurs to call myself, but, being Irish and German, it's like I'm an AA meeting waiting to happen lol. It's like the two most drunk people on the planet, and, I RARELY drink. Which is odd, because I'm a Mic and a Kraut (Which oddly enough is a stupid thing to try and insult Germans with in general since Kraut was a term invented by brits who hate us anyway, because we eat Sauerkraut, which is CHINESE!).

Quote Originally Posted by chaosclown
    Okay, Ive done a bit of looking around and it seems he wants a transfer cable, which kinda look exactly like the first suggestion you had.

http://www.worldofcables.com/store/v...?idProduct=582
    Thanks a lot chaosclown!!! I spent about 15-20 minutes "Googling" but never could find what I needed. I've made a post on ComputerForum.com with your link and a link back to this thread. The suggestion I had made previously had the wrong kind of USB male adapter on it (Type B).

How did you find it? I guess your Googling skills outmatch mine! Or your patience!

Quote Originally Posted by gore
    Ohhhhhhh aren't we being a Quesadildo today
    I didn't even think twice about it. I was born and raised in a predominately Chicano city (Odessa, TX) and now I live in one that is even more full of beaners (Corpus Christi, TX - Spanish for "The Body of Christ").

I have a lot of very close friends that were born and raised in Mexico, some that are 1st generation Chicano (whose parents were illegal before their birth in the States) and some that are 3rd or 4th generation Chicanos.

I'm not a racist - I love Mexicans - I think everyone should own one!

Seriously, though - if anyone takes offense to my comments, they need to get over themselves. I love people of every color and culture. It's what makes this world such a fun and interesting place!

"Beaner Schnitzel" - that's solid gold! I'm just luke-warm on "Quesadildo"...

Now back to the topic at hand gore! You friggn' subject-changing, thread-hijacking cracker-ass honkey, you!

[edit]
    on second thought, I guess 'Corpus Christi' is Latin... but still, it's full of brownies.
    [/edit]
    Last edited by wiskic10_4; April 2nd, 2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typos

Not a problem, glad i could help!!

Yea I change subjects like a nervous politician

Hmmmmm......

Guess I got this one wrong?

Looking at random crap on my bench..............Parallel to RJ45 then RJ45 to USB?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Hmmmmm......

Guess I got this one wrong?

Looking at random crap on my bench..............Parallel to RJ45 then RJ45 to USB?
    Yeah... that... ermmm... doesn't help us out...

I believe chaosclown nailed it. Of course, the guy from the OP never posted back... and after I went through all the trouble...

Just trying to make the intarwebz a better place one computer at a time... but I'm only one man...
    </grandiose>
    Last edited by wiskic10_4; April 2nd, 2010 at 03:20 PM.