Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 security - Which system works best?

and considering XP doesn't require more than 128
    To work half decently it requires 512................to work properly it would want 1024...............and that is without shared video memory.

Sure "it will work", but I would have hoped that MS have learned from the Vista debacle?..............."will work" and "will work properly" are two different things?.............hey! I have Win95 running on a Cyrix 386?????

I saw Windows 95 on a 486 once.... It was about 5 years ago...I wonder if it's done booting yet.

.toptenreviews.com is a blacklisted domain. I would advise not visiting it.

As far as deciding which AV to go for keep in mind the top out there. There is and will be a downside to all of them but make sure you go for someone who is in the top bracket. To me that is

Symantec, Trendmicro, McAfee (although I do hate them), Kaspersky (I use it).

I really wouldn’t bother myself with multiple anti-malware. Get one (make sure you pay for it and download it on a clean machine or at least from the developers website. Most of them have MD5's or SHA1 listed on the download page or you can also ensure authenticity of the data by digital signature verification on the installer file. Install the AV and keep updating it.

Update your OS. Try and use an alternative browser to IE. If you must use IE keep it to sites that are reputed. Try and never install a software from an un-trusted website (doesn’t matter if they offer it for free).

Get a good firewall (Agnitum's Outpost is what I use). This is only if you don’t buy an internet security suit from any of the above vendors.

Download Trendmicro's new housecall scanner (http://go.trendmicro.com/housecall7/...llLauncher.exe) scan your machine using this once a month or week if you can..

Lastly and the most important one. Use a NON-ADMINISTRAOR privileged account for your day to day use.

Good night mate its 3 AM here
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Banned
    Lastly and the most important one. Use a NON-ADMINISTRAOR privileged account for your day to day use.
    XP was the last version of the operating system to allow idiots to go about their business on an admin account. I would still take it a step further and enforce the use of guest accounts rather than a user account.

This way even if even if malware displays dialog boxes and walks the user through the process of giving it write access... it still wouldn't be given write access to any directory or file; regardless if the user has screwed up (or disabled) the UAC.

I saw Windows 95 on a 486 once.... It was about 5 years ago...I wonder if it's done booting yet.
    I have Windows 95B build 1212 running on a 486 DX4/75MHz with 32Mb of 72pin EDO RAM. It works just fine; but remember that the last DX4s were faster than the early Pentiums. Windows 95 was just a rather clunky and unstable OS, which didn't seem noticeably better on a PI/150 with 64Mb PC133 SDR.

With today's equipment there should not be a hardware or resource issue, and you should be able to run any security suite.

XP was the last version of the operating system to allow idiots to go about their business on an admin account.
    Actually, it was worse than you say as that was the default setup configuration

toptenreviews.com is a blacklisted domain. I would advise not visiting it.
    I do not detect toptenreviews as being "blacklisted", and I doubt if they would be for legal reasons. This is the problem with those sort of "review sites":

"The issue lies in the explosion of spam-review sites which are nothing more than websites promoting affiliate links under the guise of an official " review " site. Their main goal is to accomplish one thing - to send you to the site they are promoting and hoping you buy the product they are selling - if you do, they get up to a 75% cut of the sale. In other words, their reviews are up for sale - and are not anything but thinly veiled sales pitches
    Basically, they will try to sell you any old crap so long as it makes them money.

I don't particularly trust any review site and am always suspicious of any that are not subscription funded. Hey! it costs money to run them and that money has to come from somewhere?
    Last edited by nihil; April 24th, 2010 at 09:59 AM.

I can't say much about Vista because only one machine here has it and I don't exactly use it (It DOES have that Windows Mail Client though which I wanted to try out, but I can't because I don't have Vista, and an email client isn't worth it lol) the new machine I got for Christmas has Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, and 4 Gigs of RAM. On Windows the machine works pretty well, and I don't see much lag ever, unless the damn AV wants to scan while I'm playing UT of some sort....

DOOM DOESN'T WORK ON WINDOWS 7.... So for each of those morons on TV saying Windows 7 was "Their idea" none of whom seem to be getting any shares of sales I might add.... Thanks for screwing up DooM.... I still haven't really had time to install it again and see if I can put it in a different directory, and the Compatibility mode didn't work at all because the game itself wouldn't even try to load because.... I think it was some Library, which I can look into when I actually CAN do that.

Windows 7 doesn't seem to be so bad about User Accounts. I remember XP by default used Auto Log in to Admin, which I still think is funny. Then again, in every house, the weakest link and easiest way in is usually the Windows, so I wasn't shocked either (Who names something that was plagued with security issues for over a decade after something someone can look inside to see what's IN the house, and then break to get in???) ...

I WAS however happy that after years of Microsoft ripping off other OSs (Usually Mac OS which they already admitted to I think... And BSD, but who hasn't?) that they finally took something like "Maybe not logging into our version of root by default?" which is nice, and the fact that no apps really use the admin account, and you have to actually TELL them (For example I gave Spy bot Admin rights) which was nice because then it isn't trying by default.

Oh, and it's nice they took the looks and other GUI stuff from Enlightenment! I LOVE Enlightenment, and still use it.

Of course, Enlightenment DOES run, without ANY lag I might add, on Slackware 13.0, on an Intel Celeron 433 MHz, with 192 MBs RAM, and an 8 MB ATI card that doesn't even have 3D enabled... And that's with the GUI making it Snow, Rain, and the Clouds floating while making a Playlist on XMMS, without even a little LAG. Which to me was actually shocking because I don't even have a 3D driver for that card installed..... I thought it was awesome though...

Hi Guys, thanks for all the tips.

My computer is running 4GB of memory so I think I will stick to the Symantec solution. For 3 reasons, firstly it runs the complete suite of security packages (firewall, anti-malware, etc), it falls into the top bracket of security vendors, and thirdly I will be rid of those damn pop-ups which came with the "free" trial on the computer.

I don't know. I really don't run AV on my home system. I hate - with a passion, Symantec Not just their AV but Backup Exec was fine until Symantec bought it and screwed it up.

/rant

One thing many people forget is that a virus in a program that replicates itself. I haven't seen a decent virus in years.

A vulnerability in IE or some other windows app, that is exploited via a web server you get tricked into visiting IS NOT A VIRUS!

At home I run with extremely limited rights, I use Fire Fox with the no script plugin to browse the web. a.k.a surf serious pr0n and warez sites. (The warez sites I surf from inside a VM so I really don't give a **** what happens since the VM is destroyed shortly after I'm done playing on the dark side.

Kid's laptops are restricted, have a modified host file and OpenDNS is on their network subnet. Yea I know I set up a vLan at my house - so I'm a geek... What 'cha going to do?

So unless you are on my workstation, know the admin account info, or bring in a usb, dvd, cd, 3.5" disk my home network is just fine with out AV services mucking things up.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Holy Crap!

I've been going about security all wrong........I think I'm gonna have to reformat every pc in the house........wow

Hi AO's

My excellency about Windows 7 is zero.....

i just purchased a Sony vaio laptop ... running windows 7 home basic with 3 gig and I3

although i have trust on kaspersky internet security from along time.

and so i subcribed 1 year from KIS 2010.
    and with that as suggested by nihil i have using Spyware Blaster and Spyboy Search and Destroyer. and Ccleaner.

but now my worries have started again because you guyz say avast is a better option ..

guyz show me a proper path way please
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"