Hey AO!

So I spend all of my time on another forum

But the topic recently came up about people being able to see your IP on Facebook or something like that, to which I replied:

If your box/network is secure, then who cares? And if it's running anything than can be exploited, then chances are it has been already - people are scanning for security vulnerabilities on your IP day and night - set up a firewall or check your router logs if you want to see for yourself. IP anonymity as a source of security is over-rated. Anyone here can find my IP address by visiting the site in my signature... I don't care... worse-case scenario you DDOS my connection w/ a botnet until my ISP shuts it down... or you get tired of wasting your time...

[edit]
Quote Originally Posted by g4m3rof1337
They can find out exactly where you live, what room the computer is in, all of your private information, and hack directly into your PC!
And the government is watching you through your television screen!
[/edit]

[edit]
As for you location privacy, every IP I look up just gives the location of the ISP and its routers - you'd have to have their records to show what modem MAC address the IP was leased to, and then have the customer's address that the modem belongs to in order to get an exact location. Am I wrong?

from iplocation.net:
Although it would be nice to be able to find precise location of a visitor, it is almost impossible to find exact location of a host given its IP address. However, there are tools available to help identify approximate location of the host.
[/edit]
(original thread here)

Am I pretty much on the level here? Or are there other things people could do with your IP that I'm not thinking of or am not aware of?

Thanks guys - I'll try to drop by more often... it's just that nothing is ever going on here anymore... I know I'm not helping that by not posting, but... I'm only so interesting...

Peace out and all that jazz...