Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Dangerous is your IP Really?

Hybrid View

How Dangerous is your IP Really?

Hey AO!

So I spend all of my time on another forum

But the topic recently came up about people being able to see your IP on Facebook or something like that, to which I replied:

If your box/network is secure, then who cares? And if it's running anything than can be exploited, then chances are it has been already - people are scanning for security vulnerabilities on your IP day and night - set up a firewall or check your router logs if you want to see for yourself. IP anonymity as a source of security is over-rated. Anyone here can find my IP address by visiting the site in my signature... I don't care... worse-case scenario you DDOS my connection w/ a botnet until my ISP shuts it down... or you get tired of wasting your time...

[edit]
    Quote Originally Posted by g4m3rof1337
    They can find out exactly where you live, what room the computer is in, all of your private information, and hack directly into your PC!
    And the government is watching you through your television screen!
    [/edit]

[edit]
    As for you location privacy, every IP I look up just gives the location of the ISP and its routers - you'd have to have their records to show what modem MAC address the IP was leased to, and then have the customer's address that the modem belongs to in order to get an exact location. Am I wrong?

from iplocation.net:
    Although it would be nice to be able to find precise location of a visitor, it is almost impossible to find exact location of a host given its IP address. However, there are tools available to help identify approximate location of the host.
    [/edit]
    (original thread here)

Am I pretty much on the level here? Or are there other things people could do with your IP that I'm not thinking of or am not aware of?

Thanks guys - I'll try to drop by more often... it's just that nothing is ever going on here anymore... I know I'm not helping that by not posting, but... I'm only so interesting...

Peace out and all that jazz...
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

If you could trace me to within 70 miles of my location , you would be wearing "RayBans" and have a 9mm about your person.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    If you could trace me to within 70 miles of my location , you would be wearing "RayBans" and have a 9mm about your person.

yeah, it's true. Yours comes up as London England, and I know you're a good 3 1/2-four hours from that.

I guess a lot depends on how your ISP is structured?

Mine is entirely dynamic so I get a different IP address each time I login.They have a variety of centres or nodes through which you get routed. The two closest are about 60 miles away Right now I am coming through Mansfield in Nottinghamshire which is 120 miles away. Sometimes it is London which is 250 miles out.

I assume the location on the map is where the ISP's router is?
    That would be my understanding as well.

They can find out exactly where you live, what room the computer is in, all of your private information, and hack directly into your PC!
    Not if you use RJ45 cables and if we are talking WiFi all you would see is the router rather than the PC. I do not see the relationship between basic computer security and IP addresses.

Obviously if you have a static IP address you need to be more careful as you can always be found there.

That's funny...

but this site actually traces my IP to right down the street from my house: http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/ - I assume the location on the map is where the ISP's router is? I don't fully understand how ISP networks are setup - I assume they use coaxial cable on the phone poles which go into routers at various locations? Like this:

But I don't know for sure... guess I could drive down the street and see what's at the location on the map? Or go to work for Grande Com!? I find it very interesting...

[edit] I guess you can't put images in posts? Gay... but I guess we'd get a lot of trolls posting tubgirls and goatses....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wiskic10_4; May 9th, 2010 at 03:30 PM.
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

With so many people outsourcing storage, email, etc. Not to mention social networking... I think it would be easier to attack someones web based email account, their twitter account, facebook, myspace, bank, etc. Or send them a targeted phishing email, and get them to open a malicious pdf. Send them a link to Koobface on their facebook profile. A poisoned bit.ly link through twitter. I can think of several methods of attack that do not require me to have their ip address. Most people store more valuable info online than they do on their personal computers.

Just my $0.02...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

I know those approaches must work on some, or else nobody would bother, but how many people really fall for phishing e-mails?

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    but how many people really fall for phishing e-mails?
    If people didn't fall for them there wouldn't so many of them. The sad fact is people do fall for them and while there is money to be made from scams, we will continue to see phishing e-mails.
    Last edited by DjM; May 10th, 2010 at 08:46 PM.
    DjM

Joe, are you saying you haven't seen people do STUPID things? I mean you live in NY, you've probably seen some major morons.

I see dumb people all the time... I'll be on the freeway and some idiot will cut me off without even looking, and when I look at them, they're on the phone, watching a movie, and yelling at their kids in a mini van while trying to drive.

People like that don't even shock me when they get an email like this:

from : ImTotallyRich@pleaseSendMeMoneyItsNotAScamWePromise.com
    to: Moron

Dear Idiot,

I'm a rich guy in a country that is so crap that if I was rich, I would have MOVED already, but don't let this throw you off, I stay because I have money locked in the bank. For just 7 easy payments of everything you own and your little dog too, you can help me not have to get a real job for another 4 months while I try and find another stupid moron online who thinks I'm not full of it.

Enclosed in my PayPal account because I can't give you my bank account numbers, because I don't want you to know I'm broke and living in Nigeria. Please send money and tell your friends that you'll be rewarded with $3,000,000.00 US for doing so (That's about what it's going to cost you to hire Lawyers and track my ass down, and with your accounts empty and those overdraft fees in place, you'll owe almost that much)...

Thank you for your time and your in-ability to watch the news and see that just because someone sent it to you in an email doesn't mean it's real!

Your friend,

Prince Zamir Nahinanaja.

Quote Originally Posted by DjM View Post
    If people didn't fall for them there wouldn't so many of them. The sad fact is people do fall for them and while there is money to be made from scams, we will continue to see phishing e-mails.
    well that's sad all right. I mean I've seen tons of banking e-mails sent to me, even some of them from my own bank, at least in name, but they end up going to the e-mails I know my bank has no clue that I have.