Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How Dangerous is your IP Really?

If your computer is wide open, random strangers will have found it already and stolen everything worth having. actually telling people won't make any difference.

calvin47,

This thread is 3 years old, and things have changed a lot in that time. However, for possibly the first time, I am inclined to agree with you provided that you take the timeline into consideration, and we will only go back to Windows XP (2001).

If your computer is wide open, random strangers will have found it already and stolen everything worth having.
    Not really people, but internet worms such as Blaster and Code Red. In the early days of Windows XP, the firewall was not turned on by default so you would be infected if you didn't activate it or install a better solution. I believe that this was rectified in SP1, where the firewall was turned on by default?

actually telling people won't make any difference.
    Only if they can be trusted? otherwise you would be open to a DoS attack, particularly if you have a static IP address.

Friend of Site Staff
    By default, the Windows Firewall is turned on the moment you install Service Pack 2.
    If it is not turned on, inside of 15 minutes, someone else will use your computer for their ends.

To tell you the truth, it's not dangerous at all, because if you have an ISP(Internet Service Provider) odds are you have a modem and all of the IP addresses that they give you point to the geographical location of your ISP's datacenter(where all the action goes on) so only the government like FBI can actually have your real house address by your IP Address by saying to your ISP "Hey!, Were the FBI and we'd like so and so's address!" and if anyone ever tells you anything about getting your house address by your IP Address just explain that, Also, if you have a router an IP address like 67.195.160.76 is basically like an "appartment building address" and the people who live there have an internal address like 192.168.1.105 . and most routers and computers today have built in firewalls so by default your network can only have "outgoing" activity.

I agree with AA on this one.

I try to trace myself, and the closest I get is about 60 miles. Hell! and I am on the inside looking out?

Where you will have a potential problem is when you have a fixed or static ISP address........that leaves you open to a personal attack. Mine changes every time I reboot