Thread: Help

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

Cool Help

does windows vista keep a log of when windows is starting up and shutting down? If so, where can I find these. If not, how can I configure windows to do this? I want it to keep a logfile every time windows startsup or restarts or reboots? I am running windows vista home basic edition 6.0 all help is greatly appreciated

Event viewer.

Security log
    Filter:
    Event Source: Security
    Category: Log on Log off

Oops just re read your post. Nevermind
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Under each OS microsoft has an entry in the System event viewer. Example from my XP machine:
    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: EventLog
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 6009
    Date: 06/6/2010
    Time: 04:59:04 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: (your_machine's_Name)
    Description:
    Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 3 Multiprocessor Free.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    And that is how you will know if the system was restarted normally ... there are similar notices for having started after unknown shutdown, etc.... By digging through the logs by time, you may be able to determin who was logged in at the time, or you may just see unintelligible administrivia

Do the test yourself, Start-> Shutdown-> Reboot ... then look at the event viewer for that time spot.. and you'll see something similar for yours to indicate that the system is starting...

HYBR|D
    event viewer,

1. Choose Start > Control Panel.
    2. Click System and Maintenance, and then, in the Administrative Tools section, click View Event Logs.
    3. Double-click Windows Logs in the Event Viewer (Local) pane.

some1 give TG2 some AntiPoints, he's already written what i was going to Do'H

Quote Originally Posted by HYBR|D View Post
    some1 give TG2 some AntiPoints, he's already written what i was going to Do'H
    HA! I hardly *ever* get to one of these before anyone else.. I should get double AntiPoints for getting in early..

what I really wish is to have found for this, was a list of known BSOD and other Error Event ID's that would correspond to the bad shutdown/startup sequences. Its not that I've never had one on my machine ... but its been so long ago that I wouldn't have a log of it anymore.. and I'm a bit more proactive in rebooting my machine every other day anyway, just to prevent the problems... long history with network and graphic anomolies that show up if I don't reboot every other day or so..

I'm sure that (on xp at least) even if you have a BSOD with Reboot, that you still get the same 6009 with the same "Multiprocessor Free" startup message, it would just be the lack of logs prior showing valid "shutdown/stopped" messages, and subsequent to the startup message wouldn't see the "recovered from" error.

But ... its still open for anyone else that may have some other shutdown/startup messages to look for and post 'um.
    Last edited by TG2; June 6th, 2010 at 01:44 PM.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Thanks guys. Greatly appreciated,