Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Vaio Hangs every now and than...

Sony Vaio Hangs every now and than...

Hi There AO's,

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB14EN running Windows 7 Home Basic.
    http://www.sony.co.in/product/vpceb14en

This laptop Hangs every 1 hour to 3 hours since yesterday. specailly when i run this programs Flash CS4, Flash Develop, Winamp, Internet Explorer, Utorrent together. and i have to hard restart it and it works fine again for 1 to 3 hours again it Hangs

Can you guyz suggest me some thing i am really in a deep problem with it.

its just a newly purchased laptop 1 month ago.

Regards
    KK
    Last edited by kingkong; May 20th, 2010 at 09:38 AM.
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

try some of the obvious first ... feel for heat .. excessive heat could be a sign of issues, look at power saving issues ... usually if the machine is attempting to save on power you might see it trying to turn off the screen or suspend, etc.. or perhaps is it when you're trying to wake up the machine ... etc..

did this happen the first week you had it? aside from Flash CS4 what else did you install ... do you have so much involved with the laptop's setup that you really wouldn't want to revert to the factory / oem image of your OS and then install one app at a time, to see when/if the problem returns?

did you run any tweaker applications and possibly either over tweak or just make the wrong choice that might effect the performance negatively?

Next steps could get more involved ... you could even try just pulling your memory stick and reseating it in case it wasn't fully seated or sloppily inserted by whomever assembled the laptop ... etc..

I know nothing concrete ... but it should get you thinking more externally so you could make better observations if needed..

Good Luck!

Hi TG2,

1) Its Not a Heat Issue for sure.

2) I have already done restore factory setting once a week ago. I cannt keep doing it again and again.

3) I was not installing Flash CS4 i was using the program and all the others programs mentioned above were getting used not intalling at the same time.

4) No tweaker programs are running on my laptop.

I notice one strange thing after posting my frist comment i truned off my LAN and switched to Wireless network and since than laptop has not hanged infact it was pretty smooth.

Regards
    KK

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
    Hi TG2,

1) Its Not a Heat Issue for sure.

2) I have already done restore factory setting once a week ago. I cannt keep doing it again and again.

3) I was not installing Flash CS4 i was using the program and all the others programs mentioned above were getting used not intalling at the same time.

4) No tweaker programs are running on my laptop.

I notice one strange thing after posting my frist comment i truned off my LAN and switched to Wireless network and since than laptop has not hanged infact it was pretty smooth.

Regards
    KK
    #2 -> didn't mean you needed to do again and again .. the point of asking was so that if you hadn't .. you could just once and see if the problem is still there.

If the problem doesn't happen under the original load, then that suggests the problem is something that was added.. a compatibility issue, etc.

#3 -> sorry, but I didn't mean you were actively installing, but to think along the lines of what *was* already installed, and ... if starting from a clean brand new / newly restored system, that you would start ... one install at a time. Install an application.. try to make the system lock up. if it didn't.. then install the next application, try to make the system lockup ... etc..

you do this in "layers" .. adding one program at a time and looking for the problem...

these are just standard troubleshooting steps to find the real cause...

Now ... since you've added something.. that working on the wireless you don't have this happen, then perhaps you have either a) bad physical network connection (wire, port on the laptop, port on your switch or router, etc) or b) is it possible you are coming under some sort of attack? Or even a 3rd (c) option.. is it possible something is trying to go out and update, or register your system on you .. and its that registration attempt that's causing the lockup ...

just ideas.. keep track of what changes when you see something different happen and maybe the culprit for your lockup will show a pattern over time.

Good Luck!

HYBR|D
    My bet is that your running out of system resources from having all those resource intensive apps open all at the same time doing different things.

I suspect you are running out of virtual ram, and actual ram and i guess you have all the eye candy features enabled on win7?

all this and a hint of over heating will be causing these lock ups.

Now you say switching from wired to your wireless has so far prevented the hanging of the system, when you were using the wired connection were the programs allowed to connect to the interweb for updates etc etc?

i would switch the apps from auto checking to manual updating when you choose to update them.

HI TG2, and HYBRID,

As of its not a heat to highlight it again i seat in a highly chill office and with a coolPAD attached to the laptop.

and i got the reason for it the LAN plug has some sort of short circuit init so after a use of a certain amount the circuirt plays around and make cooper heat which hangs my system.

I dont know about this more but this is the reason for it. i am not a expert at this but i guess there would be some one who can highlight it in a better way.

and i heard from my admin that this LAN wire can actually crash my whole system. is that true?

Regards
    KK

Hi there KK,

Please try a different RJ45 cable, or ask your guy to test the one you already have. As I am typing this I am looking at my RJ45/11 tester...................cost me around 60 rupees over here

If a known good RJ45 doesn't work properly, then you have a problem with the motherboard, which should still be under warranty?

and i heard from my admin that this LAN wire can actually crash my whole system. is that true?
    Yes, defective hardware can produce all sorts of unpredictable results.

At a guess, I would suggest that your RJ45 cable is badly crimped, and that a slight increase in temperature makes it misbehave?

Hi KingKong,

I've got the same problem with the same model. I am also using LAN for internet connection. But sometimes even without LAN cable plugged in (without internet) system hangs and I have to hard reset it. When some applications are running simultaneously and CPU is on high activity this happens. Specially while playing NFS Shift game it hangs a lot. I don't know what to do, whether it is some software issue or hardware. I also downgraded from win7 to winXP but it didn't help. I think this particular model may have some hardware problem. Please help me if you find some solution.

I would run a memory test program to test the ram, or run through the hardware diagnostics at boot if your laptop has them (all our computers have a diagnostic partition for hardware testing)
    If its a hardware / ram issue, this should pin point it.

Could also be the hard drive. Bad sectors can cause freezups where nothing but a hard reset would work. Again, hardware diagnostics would find that issue if you have them built in.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

It sounds like RAM or the video chipset to me........as it is new I would take it back under warranty.

Look at the size of the pagefile if you like , but don't mess with hardware that is under warranty