Ask.com scumbags

Thread: Ask.com scumbags

Ask.com scumbags

I am getting progressively hissed off with Ask.com

They appear to be paying suppliers of freeware to try to install their software alongside of it. OK, nothing wrong with that you might say, but there is when they disguise the installation request as an apparent requirement to download the product you actually want.

This is not the first underhand strategy I have reported to you regarding this organisation................a while back if you used Foxit pdf reader you would get the Ask toolbar, even if you unchecked the boxes to authorise it

That has now been corrected

Another thing to mention is that it phones home on a regular basis..............I don't know with what and certainly cannot be arsed to find out.............but it doesn't ask your permission to do such a thing.

SOLUTION:

C: program files: Ask <delete>

I cannot trust organisations that behave like this............Yahoo! and Google don't, so why does Ask.com?

I am sick of all of the 'opt-out' installations... No, I don't want the bing toolbar. I just want to install java. No, I don't want the yahoo toolbar. I just want to install defraggler. No I don't want the sony rootkit. I just want to listen to my cd. er... wait. crap.

Just let me install what I want, and only what I want. If I want your crap software, I will find it, and download it myself.

It is kind of like the check box that says 'I would not not like to never receive promotional emails that &#37;whatever company% never sends out, sometimes in the future'.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I am sick of all of the 'opt-out' installations... No, I don't want the bing toolbar. I just want to install java. No, I don't want the yahoo toolbar. I just want to install defraggler. No I don't want the sony rootkit. I just want to listen to my cd. er... wait. crap.

Just let me install what I want, and only what I want. If I want your crap software, I will find it, and download it myself.

It is kind of like the check box that says 'I would not not like to never receive promotional emails that %whatever company% never sends out, sometimes in the future'.
    Speaking of which...I was just wondering, is sony's rootkit still in circulation? Or did they stop that hogwash?

Banned
    They lost to much money paying for damages and attempts to dispute it was malware while sueing antiviral software for removing it. But considering I have cd's likely going as far back as the late eighties you bet your ass its being passed around and being installed.

But this, this... is nothing more than an attempt to defruad small companys looking to advertise. Pure and simple.

And internet.com/JupM/QuinStreet Inc. themselves are nothing more than domain squaters who ruin sites like AntiOnline and what was once Ask-Jeeves.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    I cannot trust organisations that behave like this............Yahoo! and Google don't, so why does Ask.com?
    You sure about that, Nihil? Yahoo toolbar comes with a lot of freeware.

p.s. -- what's new? Long time, no see.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Hi there brokencrow,

Not much new here, in fact everything is rather old, particularly myself!

60 today!

Now I get a free bus pass, subsidised winter heating, local government tax rebate, and my first occupational pension

I know the yahoo! toolbar comes with a lot of stuff, but if you say no it doesn't still try to install itself. My complaint about Ask is that having declined installation, it put up a second screen that looks like it is part of the application I wanted to install/update.

Naughty!