Thread: Home Networking Project

Home Networking Project

I am looking to setup two seperate networks in my house, I would like my personal/multimedia network and my work/project network. The problem is, my modem was provided by Verizon and is a firewall/router/wireless/modem. I would have rather had my Linksys RV082 in front of the verizon modem. What is the best way to split this?

also, if I am not mistaken... if I put a router between the modem and the RV082 that woud eliminate all security correct?

Correction:

Would putting an ethernet switch between my MI424-WR and my RV082 eliminate my security?

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    splurge on a real router. put it between the "modem" and the networks. You can configure it to share the internet and keep the two networks separate. And you'll learn all about IP subnetting woot!

Dave
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

The best solution would be to get 2 routers and connect them to the Verizon router. Set each router to a different IP scheme. Only the routers should be connected to the Verizon (turn off wireless). You need the 3 router configuration in order to make it impossible for data to traverse the networks. Another option would be to get a network switch capable of running a VLAN to plug into the Verizon, but that would be more expensive.

Edit: Actually, you seem to have a pretty expensive router and I just checked and found some cheaper VLAN switches. Couldn't attest to the quality or reliability of the cheaper ones though.
    Last edited by CyberB0b; May 25th, 2010 at 01:09 AM.
    sandwich.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Then, we had routers and switches (some of which were hubs, but no one remembered they were not the same thing).

Now, we have routers (and no one knows what a switch or hub is). Most people refer to a simple router with a built in 4 to 8 port switch as a router, and don't know the difference. Fourdc knows the difference though.

An actual dedicated router with 3 ports (1 to each network, 1 to the modem) would do exactly what you want. Thats the entire purpose of owning a router.

The really sad thing is, even companies like Cisco are stating things incorrectly. The Cisco RV082 8-port 10/100 VPN Router - Dual WAN should actually be called Cisco RV082 8-port 10/100 Switch with VPN Router - Dual WAN (this is the same as the OP stated he has, just with the Cisco branding instead of Linksys).
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar

hack your router

Here's a link to a Lifehacker article about taking a cheap "router" and upgrading to something better. I haven't tried it but I read the ddwrt docs and the firmware looks like it has some serious balls.

http://lifehacker.com/software/route...ter-178132.php

There are links to another router firmware upgrade called Tomato.

Dave
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot