Thread: Debian Etch VMware fusion

Debian Etch VMware fusion

I am trying to install Debian etch in my VMware fusion. I already have debian running but now want to install etch to test the upgrade to Lenny. Problem is every time i chose what to install and actual install starts it hangs at 5% no errors just stays there forever.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas? I googled this forever but no answers...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." ~ Henry Ford

HYBR|D
    Hey bagZ, were you been buddy??

Anyhow, interesting error. If possible could you divulge more info on your boxen setup?

also why not just install "Lenny" instead of messing around with an upgrade after an -initial vanilla install?

Been working a lot so no time to roam the forums too much

Currently running VMware fusion on my Macbook pro nothing out of the ordinary 4GB RAM 200GB hard drive 2.8ghz core duo. Default setup same as Lenny-amd64 which i already have and that was just so easy... Now i have a few old boxes that i would like to upgrade to Lenny but would like to test my upgrade procedure first .

Anyway what i did in the meantime i downloaded Virtual Box installed Etch in there got to the part where it asked to use network mirror and i pointed it to a bad mirror then i get an option to go back a step in my setup and then i am presented with a whole lot of options. One of them is to install GRUB and move on which i did and somehow miracle happened installation completed
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." ~ Henry Ford

What I think was going on is that the partition tables scheme for Macs, GPT, are different than what PCs and linux use, MBR. GRUB probably gave your VMWare something compatible to boot debian on.