Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Defender

Smile Windows Defender

Hi everyone,

I just noticed that Windows Defender has stopped working on my laptop which runs Windows Vista. I get the following message when I try to start it:

"Windows Defender encountered an error 0x800106ba. A problem caused this program's service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or search Help and Support for how to start a service manually."

Please advice a solution.

Regards

Prince

Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1...antivirus.html

Much better program anyway.

Wouldn't it be nice though, if in the future someone googled this, and AO came up in the search results with a solution?
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

lol good answer west!

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice though, if in the future someone googled this, and AO came up in the search results with a solution?
    I think the answer to that would be to actually answer these types of questions. Right, from an SEO perspective? Or would that not help? (serious question)

From an SEO perspective, the more terms on your site that people are likely to search for, the more you will turn up in those searches.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    SEO is a farce. I have to agree with metguru. Just out of curiousity, I just put
    0x800106ba
    into google, and the very first result is the microsoft help and support site (which, btw, the error that the OP posted says to check), which tells you how to fix the problem.

But hey, since a lot of people don't know about the microsoft knowledge base...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/
    Just put you error code in the search box that pops up.

Avira is probably one of the best free AV programs out there, but I would like to point out that Windows Defender and Avira are not the same thing. Windows Defender is not an AV program. It is techinally an Anti-Spyware program. The free version of Avira doesn't include spyware detection. Microsoft has Defender, Malicious Software Removal Tool, Security Essentials, and Forefront Client Security.

Believe it or not, Microsoft Security Essentials is just as good as any other "full featured" free AV program (ie, does spware, adware, trojans, worms, and virii).
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

security essentials just misseda couple of Java exploits that Antivir caught and removed. I found out they were there by using Kaspersky online scan. That's when I switched. I uninstalled security essentials and installed avira.

Also has the smallest footprint I've ever seen in an antivirus program.

It's nice that you noticed windows defender not working. Google search for the error code should help you with resolving your problem.

You can also download microsoft security essentials if you're currently not using any AV or can't get one. From the all the free ones out there i found it the best.

Ensure that you download it from the source i've given below or by going from Microsoft site. Do not google or torrent or P2P download this software. It's free anyways.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=en-us
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.