Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shortkey for highlighting fields

Hybrid View

Shortkey for highlighting fields

I remember when I wanted to make windows applications with Microsoft C++, there was an option that I could sort of arrange the sequence of tabs to surf the fields for example:
    1st tab...login
    2nd......password
    3rd...forgot password
    and so on

and actually there was an option to assign an underline letter in the name of that field so that the user can press alt+"underline letter" to select it...

...................................................................................

Anyhow nowadays when I go to a webpage, there are lots of fields to click on for various actions like, login, password, forgot, buy, sell, my account, search etc.

In order to select any of them, I have to press tab button several times to reach the one I want like it begins highlighting from the top of the page to the bottom ONE BY ONE so I have to kind of parse everything to reach what I'm looking for..

Is there any shortkey or any way I can bypass this process? I mean is there any shortkey for highlighting all the possible fields in a page ALL AT ONCE so that I can choose among (WITHOUT MOUSE JUST BY KEYBOARD)?

PS. Even sometimes when I want to search, I have to first click on that area for the cursor to show up and then type what I want. So I just wish to go to that field WITHOUT CLICKING or having to use Tab a hundred times to get to it..........
    Last edited by boyboy400; June 23rd, 2010 at 06:16 PM.

HYBR|D
    So what browser are you using? OS in use?

Or is this a more "Hey i need help creating a script/app" so i can do x,y,z??

if it's just more browser shortcuts then it depends on the browser but there are various "Macro's" that can be setup either straight from the browser, or with firefox type addons.

No I'm not trying to create script or so..I guess my question was not very clear...sorry

I use Vista and firefox...

So let me give you an example:

Go to amazon.com and try to search "laptop" in the search field WITHOUT USING EXTERNAL MOUSE OR ACTIVATING KEYBOARD MOUSE BY CTRL+ALT+NUM LK

How do you do this? You can't. You got to press Tab bottom exactly 14 times to reach the search field and make the cursor appear there so that you can type "laptop" and press "enter" to begin search.

Banned
    Control-A (select all)
    then when you hit tab the first textbox on a page will be highlighted.

Hi there boyboy400,

Is there any shortkey or any way I can bypass this process? I mean is there any shortkey for highlighting all the possible fields in a page ALL AT ONCE so that I can choose among (WITHOUT MOUSE JUST BY KEYBOARD)?
    My initial thinking is that the answer is "no", because it is dependent on the website designer and how they put things together. basically, when you are on their site you are using their system........."warts and all".

They assume that you have a mouse, and that is (subconsciously?) built into their site design.

I think that I do understand your problem, and would suggest that you look at the availability of "trackballs" rather than "mice".

I had one once (possibly still have) that is the size of half a house brick (the red, clay ones). It had a surface mounted ball the size of a pool ball, and buttons that were at least 2 inches square. Even if your hand was frozen into an osteo-arthritic claw, and you had no wrist movement; as long as you could articulate from your elbow, you could use it.

Basically you moved the ball with the palm of your hand and rocked your hand to click the buttons.

Well I updated my FireFox this morning so it's for sure the very last release.

I tried what you said The-Spec but believe me, it didn't work!
    I even tried it in IE but there it was even worst....

Banned
    Pfffffffft... whatever.

Use autoIT to do your clicking then. Or shell out the very absurdly low ammount of money it would take to buy a new mouse.

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Spec View Post
    Or shell out the very absurdly low ammount of money it would take to buy a new mouse.

Agreed, there only what 2$ these days for the basic entry level mouse.

I believe that this is what the gentleman might find useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trackball

As for:

You can find them on the floors of crack houses with dirt and feces at no extra charge.
    In awe, I bow before your obviously eminently superior knowledge of such venues.

Interesting to note that the 1952 original was a Canadian invention, and used a 10 pin bowling ball?

Banned
    there only what 2$ these days
    You got swindled. Throw the entire laptop away and step into the age of plastics.