Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partition Security been disabled

Partition Security been disabled

Hi AO's

I have messed up badly with my Hard Drive Please rescue me from this disaster.

I wanted to disable or hide a Partition on my laptop and i did some R & D on net as well as played a little bit with me Partition.

But last night i went in the property panel (Security) and inside security i removed all the users group and System and every account from there.

and now i am not able to access the Full Partition (It gives a error Access Denied)

I have my work folder in it i have really critical data in that partition and i have not back of it. i need your help please i need that data back.

I am attaching Screen Short of the partition Property where the security panel is missing.

My Laptop is running Windows 7 Home Basic.

Please Help
    KK
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    uTo tell you the truth this has happened many times to me on certain folders when formatting a machine. Half of my music is locked to the previous user before I formatted, havent had a chance to sit down and have a look why it does this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

HYBR|D
    take ownership of the files/folder drive.. give read/write etc etc to the needed account and apply the settings.

either via the security tab or via the command prompt.

also what OS are you using?

@Hybrid : my laptop has Windows 7 Home basic.

cydir this are really critical data of mine and the security tab is gone thats what has left me without choice
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

Hmmmm,

Can't say I have messed with this in 7 or Vista (which seems pretty similar to me).

Isn't there a default administrator logon like in XP?

Anyways this will work. It will take a long time and you will need a drive/partition of equal size to the one you are trying to recover.

roadkil's "unstoppable copier"

http://www.roadkil.net/

It takes a very long time but will extract and reassemble files from anything...........even a damaged HDD (so long as it spins). No password, no MFT nothing...............

From what I've seen in Windows 7, the Admin account is not like XP or 2000, or anything else I have seen in the Windows world. The new machine I got finally, has Windows 7 on it, and I was literally shocked to see that after booting for the first time, there wasn't an account for the admin sitting there with no password like I was used to.

It's the reason I left Windows 7 on here... They took a play from the Unix world, as I've Hoped for, for a long time, and now, the Admin account in Windows 7, isn't some default password less account.

You basically make an account for yourself, like you would normally, but instead of it running everything as admin, it instead runs it as a normal user, and then, if you NEED something to run as admin, you right click on the Icon, and go to Properties, and from there you can set up exact permissions, and who to run it as.

When I installed Spybot, I wanted it to run as admin because it was running as a normal user, and I wasn't sure why, and so I toyed with it and found that out, so I set it up to run as admin, and then it worked fine.

I haven't actually read through any of the documentation it came with as of yet, and haven't even opened the books it came with. But most of it seems like you can get most of the stuff done simply by checking what is in the Properties area.

Deleting all those accounts, was probably not a great idea until you had a back up made. You can do this kind of thing with a MBR too. I've personally screwed up a few times where I'd delete all my partitions, and forget to delete the BSD boot loader, or grub or Lilo, and then it wouldn't boot until I dealt with it too.

HYBR|D
    open up the my computer and in the search bar type security and do a search and the correct option should appear, then you'll need to do a ALT + Shift + Enter to perform in admin mode.

i'm not at home atm so i don't have direct access to my win7 boxen hopefully another member can chime in...

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Hmm, when trying to change properties / share / permissions on this folder I have , I almost get a denied access action even if running under the administrator account which is renamed upon installing the OS but is disabled.

Still trying to figure it out.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Have you tried something like Trinity Rescue Kit/any bootable Linux distro, Just mount the partition and copy the important files to another drive/disk/partition. After that you can just go ahead and graduate to Linux. No more Windows issues....

No more Windows issues....
    That's true, as is "no more job" because Linux skills are about as useful as teats on a boar

If it doesn't work with the ease of Windows, it won't compete, and Linux certainly does not.

Just look at the market shares; given that Linux is mostly free.