MoonOS

Thread: MoonOS

MoonOS

MoonOS is something I heard about maybe a week or two ago, and after I heard of it from reading through something, I decided to look at it, as it did seem nice. I personally have VERY strong opinions when it comes to software, and in particular, OSs...

So no surprises there, what is MoonOS? Well, it's the only thing based on Ubuntu I think is worth looking at....

Moon OS is based on Ubuntu, and it's a Live CD you can download and look at, without installing it. You can install it too obviously, but you don't have to. The thing that really grabbed me was the fact that unlike most distros, it's not using KDE, or Gnome... It's using Enlightenment!

Enlightenment E-17 actually. And WOW was my first thought. It's simply amazing looking. It's incredibly nice looking actually. It looks like the thing Apple SHOULD have done with OS X.

I mean seriously now, when people talk about how pretty something is in GUIs, they generally WILL bring up Apple at some point. Well, a long time ago on here, I posted some screen shots and did a quick talk about Enlightenment E-17, and how I thought it was simply the most amazing looking Window Manager you could use.

I personally don't always use Enlightenment, but I do enough that I know I Love it. I generally will log into a machine, and decide on "OK, do I want KDE? Or Gnome? Or maybe FVWM? FVWM2? FVWM-Crystal? TWM? Window Maker? After Step?" And so on, because I sometimes want one look and feel, and sometimes I want another.

Well, MoonOS does more than just slap Enlightenment E-17 into a disk, and call it a day. It also has Art Work that was done for it, and, it looks NICE!

I'm going to go ahead and slap the "gore Stamp of Approval" on this one. I may not like Ubuntu at all, and may get sick of hearing about it, but for once, someone who took Debian, and made into crap, finally turned the turd into something good!

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=MoonOS

You can get details there, and also of course:

http://distrowatch.com/images/cgfjoewdlbc/moonos.png

http://moonos.org/

Cambodia?.....................Cambodia!!!!

I thought you guys were supposed to have bombed them back into the stone age?

This one I have got to try.....................

I think you'll like it seriously. It's a very nice looking little system. Like I said, I don't normally like Ubuntu at all, and I usually refuse to use it because I just don't like it. When it first started getting out there and people started using it, I got some CDs of it, and just didn't like it at all. The whole root account thing was annoying to me, and all around, I just didn't like it.

And then it got SUPER popular, and of course, when something gets that popular, a lot more people use it and hear about it, so they think Ubuntu IS Linux (By that I mean, they think Ubuntu is Linux, and there isn't any other versions) and this means people think everything in Linux is Ubuntu.

My own Cousin downloaded this last night, and then I was showing him XGL and some other neat stuff as he's been getting into computers more and more, and he said "That looks like Ubuntu to me" when I showed him a video on Youtube.

I was like What? How can you tell which OS, let alone which version of Linux that would be, simply by how it looks? He said that it looked like Ubuntu and I'm like umm, you do realize that KDE runs on not just Ubuntu and Linux, but on pretty much any version of Unix right?

I had to explain to him that KDE can look incredibly different, and ended up just sending him about 20 screen shots to him of JUST KDE, from about 10 versions of Linux and BSD.

Yeah, I must say that Ubuntu never really appealed to me; but that would be based on my opinion of their colour schemes, rather than any technical issues

You may recall I downloaded a few "fringe distros" a while back, as I was interested in what non-US aligned or directly opposing regimes were up to?

I was totally unimpressed by the Chinese efforts, but thought that Blue Star (Cuba) based on Gentoo, and Red Star (Argentinian Liberation Front) based on Debian 5.x, were impressive.

Microsoft watch out?

UPDATE:

ISO downloaded quickly, and I am now burning the CD
    Last edited by nihil; July 1st, 2010 at 11:53 PM.

I think you'll enjoy the Colors this one has man. From what I read, they not only have those awesome looks, but they actually made some original art work for this OS too. Pretty impressive for something based on something crappy, which is in turn, based on Debian, which, is a GREAT distro. I Love Debian