Thread: My Word on Wine Project

My Word on Wine Project

Well I just read "Proper usage of GCC" (compiler )and Note to the newbies. I think that this is the most appropriate place for me to put this, feel free to move it if necessary. I was asked in role call to post a thread about my subject so this is it.

This text is a result from a recommendation made during orientation that I should write about the progress I am making in my BSD->Wine->Word 2010

About:

The goal of this project is to get MSFT Word 2010 to work under FreeBSD so that I can continue to practice working with the latest Office packages and add this to my Resume. Ultimately this entire project and following work under FreeBSD is intended for gaining experience.

The first major problem I ran into is trying to install wine. I assumed it would be an easy task of pkg_add –r wine, and this would be fine if I were running an i386 build of FreeBSD but I am not. I chose to download and install the amd64 build of FreeBSD. There is a wiki dedicated to installing wine on FreeBSD and even details how to do this with the amd64 build. This should have been a simple process as per the instructions but it was not. I ran into an error with the first command

cd /usr/src && make buildworld installworld distribution TARGET=i386 DESTDIR=/compat/i386

Now because I am writing this after the problem has been long ago solved, I cannot say exactly the error but what I did to solve it. The error as it turns out was caused by me not having installed the sources when I installed FreeBSD. And to resolve that problem I went back into sysinstall and added the entire src tree.

That solved that problem, I thought as I watched text fly by, but my troubles were far from over. The folder /compat/i386 did not exist, so I went ahead and made it. Great I thought, no errors and the command completed (darn 10 years later). Onto the next command:

mkdir -p /usr/ports; mount nfs:/usr/ports /usr/ports

And yet another error, but if I read the instructions it says (or mount it via nullfs from outside the chroot, or just copy everything over) but how do I do that? I thought. Well I did some googling and man’ing and landed myself at

mount_nullfs /usr/ports /compat/i386/usr/ports

Terrific and now for the pkg_add right? Nope, fetching the packages failed, no network in chmod? And again google, ok well someone on a form, had the answer. I needed to copy /etc/resolve.conf to /compat/i386/etc/resolve.conf

Yay that solved the problem and wine is built, now for the rest of the instructions

Code:
    alias winecfg="LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH=/compat/i386/usr/local/lib PATH=/compat/i386/usr/local/bin:$PATH /compat/i386/usr/local/bin/winecfg"
    alias wine32="LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH=/compat/i386/usr/local/lib PATH=/compat/i386/usr/local/bin:$PATH /compat/i386/usr/local/bin/wine"
    But when I tried to run winecfg, errors occurred once again. Well I did some research and figured out that when I changed shells to tcsh there is a different format for doing aliases. I fixed this problem with adding the following to my ~/.cshrc

Code:
    alias wine32    '/compat/i386/usr/local/bin/wine'
    alias winecfg   '/compat/i386/usr/local/bin/winecfg'
    set path = (/sbin /bin /usr/sbin /usr/bin /usr/games /usr/local/sbin /usr/local/bin $HOME/bin /compat/i386/usr/local/lib)
    setenv  LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH /compat/i386/usr/local/lib
    Great now a new error, something to do with a ELF, all because… I did not install the lib32 when I installed FreeBSD

Oh but now another error, Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded. Oh but I installed the NVidia drivers already what gives? The fine people over at the FreeBSD forum helped me figure out that I was running as root, and needed to become a user again. And viola I now have winecfg running. Now onto getting this Office 2010 to run. I will update with Part 2 when I have made progress, and when time permits, I am jobless and looking for a job, Interview is on Wed 7th. I’m going to knock them over. Please forgive my Grammar and Spelling.

HYBR|D
    Hey e.michael.

So far this is a very interesting read, as i suspected it would be.

Anyhow my only question would be could you explain more about each of the commands that you have given? (I'm not a n00bie to *nix, just figured for those that don't have much experience it would give them more info on the command and why that command is given).

i am very very curious to know more info on how you fixed this command to suit the amd architexture from the i386 archatexture?

Also you mention that you had to add data into the src tree, could you give some info about what was added if possible?

cd /usr/src && make buildworld installworld distribution TARGET=i386 DESTDIR=/compat/i386

Now because I am writing this after the problem has been long ago solved, I cannot say exactly the error but what I did to solve it. The error as it turns out was caused by me not having installed the sources when I installed FreeBSD. And to resolve that problem I went back into sysinstall and added the entire src tree.
    Once again this is already turning into a very interesting thread, and i'll probably re-image into a BSD partition to give this a try also. I imagine it should not matter what BSD distro i use? i was thinking of trying on OpenBSD or that PC-BSD, Gore mentioned something about it the other day actually.