Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So gmail was hacked

I simply stated most popular browsers are insecure, some more than others, but that boils down to their implementation of scripting.
    That is oh so true! and another factor to consider is what add-ons and plug-ins you have installed. I frequently find that I have vulnerabilities in them rather than the browsers themselves. You need to make sure that they are up to date as well as the browser itself.

Heh, It is kind of funny to see the seemingly one to one relationship that functionality vs security have, the more of one you have, the less of the other you have.
    Absolutely! which means that you really need to make sure that your applications are up to date as well as your OS and browser package.

I find that Secunia PSI and File Hippo's Update Checker are useful when it comes to this.

Basically, I believe that anything that will launch an executable is potentially dangerous, particularly in careless hands, or " clicky, clicky fingers"

OK you can get relatively secure web browsers, but that will take you back to the days of the old bulletin boards and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    OK you can get relatively secure web browsers, but that will take you back to the days of the old bulletin boards and the like.
    yep yep. Ajax is becoming way too popular and powerful to stop.

The really sad thing with browsers/software being completely up to date, it still isn't very secure as the handbook I linked to in the previous post points out pretty clearly. That is why when I am running windows, I use sandboxie inside another sandbox =P I can't really download anything via firefox, but what the hey >.< What do you guys do for browser security?