Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: virus?malware?spyware?

virus?malware?spyware?

Hi All,
    May you please shed some light on this:
    When booting pc my date change to 2002.
    Recently i instaled iobit security360 and done scan of pc.
    Scan has detected this:
    backdoor.trojan
    registry value
    hkey_localmachine\software\microsoft\windowsnt\current version\winlogon value=taskman

I removed it but every time i boot pc here we go again.
    In services no some fancy names running.
    I have noticed that my pc has been running nearly always around 100% (using crome or firefox).
    Sygete firewall is set to not to allow anything different for last few months.
    Kids used pc but they do not have admin privileges.
    pc system xp prof.
    It is time of the year to wipe everything and reinstall the system again but would like to hear some answers and suggestions.
    Thanks

Hi unvi$ible..............where were you at my birthday celebrations?

2002 is familiar..............first move is to replace your CMOS battery

Got a whole new pack in the other day...............and really weird stuff can happen if the battery is flat?

I hope that helps, but it is the cheapest solution, so the one I go for first

I know that a lithium battery should last 5 years, but you don't know how long it was on the shelf before it got to the manufacturer..........how long the box was in the shop?.......and so on.............

I would guess $0.99c ?????????????

Hi Nihil,
    I was in Australia for your birthday.
    You just missed mine;(
    I was thinking the same to change the battery.
    Not sure how long was on the shelf but i built this pc so its already 7 years old.
    Let me refrase this. It has been 7 years since i built it but the only "original parts" in it are only Thermaltake case and CMOS battery.
    So its definitely time to buy another one.
    Will let you know how i go.
    Thanks

Hi Mate!

You are welcome, and I hope that works for you!

You know, these days when I get a box that is "acting funny", I don't think of malware at first.

Flat battery and rogue USB devices seem to account for 80% of the instances.

The malware industry has changed so much in recent years? they are going for stealth and money.............rather than kudos and mahem?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    The malware industry has changed so much in recent years? they are going for stealth and money.............rather than kudos and mahem?
    man isn't that the truth >.< It is to the point where anti-virus only rids you of the kiddies. The trend to be more stealthy is also why I believe that closed source is problematic in the security world because it gets harder to administer.

Banned
    Linux distros are freaking ridiculous. Packages almost never get installed correctly or installed at all. And to make matters worse there are ten kernal flaws for every ring3 issue under windows.

Hell, its so bad that even a fanboy like Gore could agree with it.
    Last edited by The-Spec; July 12th, 2010 at 04:58 PM.

When I ran Linux, I had minor problems with getting the different package managers to work. I don't know where you are getting the stats for the kernel flaws to ring3 issues either T-Spec nor do I believe it >.< Linux works better on much more devices than Windows from my personal experience and it most not just be me since most non-desktop systems run Linux/BSD and windows is sinking in the desktop region anyway. The only time I have had kernel panics on Linux is when I have been doing dangerous things with the kernel. Windows however tends to blue screen when consistently. But all this even gets off topic, all I stated was that closed source tends to warrant more security flaws and leave them unpatched longer than open source does.

Windows however tends to blue screen when consistently.
    No, it doesn't..................if that is happening then it usually isn't a Windows problem but something else which Windows can't handle.

Examples would include:

1. Flat CMOS battery
    2. Defective USB device or connection
    3. Faulty HDD
    4. Faulty Videocard
    5. Faulty HID
    6. Wrong driver or conflict
    7. Applications conflicts
    8. Norton ()
    9. Corrupt Windows installation (usually failing hardware or mains power supply glitches)
    10. Faulty PSU

In the past, people have tried to run Windows with inadequate resources, which produces an unstable environment..........I am particularly thinking of Windows ME and XP here, as they were a quantum leap in resource requirements, and M$ were not totally honest in their requirements specs. Also with 9.x and ME more than 512Mb of RAM is likely to cause an unstable situation when you run a lot of Apps at once.

Just have a look in your BIOS settings.... is "Stop on all errors except keyboard" set to "on"?..... In the case of an OEM machine you may not have this option? in which case it is the default.

Now the beauty of Linux is that you have choices ranging from "Damn Small" and "Puppy" through to full blown commercial distros such as SUSE and Red Hat. Also, Linux distros tend to be far more configurable. With Windows you pretty much have to take it "warts and all".

all I stated was that closed source tends to warrant more security flaws and leave them unpatched longer than open source does.
    Basically that is the law of averages at work............if you find a flaw in Windows you can use it to criminal advantage or to gain respect in the security community, and possible financial advantage. If you spend x months finding a flaw in Linux, you are just a geek who should get himself a life. People are not looking for flaws in Linux because there isn't any money in it.

Windows does have the advantage that patches and updates can be received and installed automatically, which suits your average home user. Also there are tools such as Secunia PSI and File Hippo that will check your system for security patches and applications updates.

Looks alot like the Poebot.BT backdoor to me......have you run a full Malwarebytes scan yet? I would try that first....
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Quote Originally Posted by The-Spec View Post
    Linux distros are freaking ridiculous. Packages almost never get installed correctly or installed at all. And to make matters worse there are ten kernal flaws for every ring3 issue under windows.

Hell, its so bad that even a fanboy like Gore could agree with it.
    This is exactly why I miss BeOS. Lol. Ah well. I will say this much about Linux and Packages for it:

Red Hat had a "neat idea" to make "RPMs" which was cool and all, but they probably should have pulled their head's out of Microsoft's ass once or twice to see that they in turn, created a new buzz word with how dependencies are needed, and, out of the box, if you try to install any given RPM, you might also have to install another one to make that one work, and the one you installed to make that one work, may not work without yet another one to make the one work you installed to make the other one work...

Reminds me of Windows Updates.... You install one to fix something, then, once you reboot for that one, you have ANOTHER one waiting, to fix what they broke when the issued the patch the first time, to fix what they broke, which in turn leads to another one, that then fixes what the first two broke, breaking something else, and so on, and after about 10 reboots, you finally have a working patch

RedHat are idiots.

Now, Debian, DOES have a bit more credibility in this. dpkg and APT are awesome, and, with one command, you have a working machine or package almost every time.

This is what I mean:

root@someDebianBox:># apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Done.

And for adding something?

root@someDebianBox:># apt-get update && apt-get install package

Most of the time, that actually works! They have something very similar to FreeBSD and the Ports system. FreeBSD has this amazing ability to actually install something without the need to spend hours on end looking for stupid libs and other crap to get something working. Like so:

root@someBSDBox:># pkg_add -r AnyPackage AnotherPackage AnyNumberOfOthers

It then takes the time to look and see if it can find not only those packages / ports, but also, what they need to work, and what THOSE need to work, and grabs all of it and installs it. I've rarely had any issues with something not working.

Since I use almost everything (Windows 7 and Slackware on this machine, FreeBSD, PC-BSD, Debian, Slackware, OpenSUSE, a lot of other stuff) I know how they sometimes need a helping hand (Or fist) to get going.

In SUSE, they have YAST2 and Yast, which, are, still, the best tools I've ever used for setting up a machine, configuring everything, and installing stuff without a migraine, or alcoholism.