Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: nix distro & exchange

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

nix distro & exchange

Hi guys,

Gore - trying to get ubuntu going here and only after installing it do I see that evolution has issues with exchange 2007

Is there any linux distro that isnt too hectic too use able to run with exchange and not have any issues?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Your distro isn't the problem >.<
    http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/03...hange-server/?

That will set you up with thunderbird. Should work. Also check out OpenChange. It is an open source MAPI client.

HYBR|D
    Ubuntu is a sissy OS, just grab a BSD, or Debian for that fact. We got a Suse boxen here at work that connected to the exchange pretty much with a default vanilla installation.

Why would you even run that glorified garbage in a production environment anyway??

Ubuntu is a sissy OS
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA That's going on my business cards!

EDIT: HYBR|D, I gotta spread it around some more before I can give it to you again!
    Last edited by dinowuff; July 12th, 2010 at 05:02 PM.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Well I thought Ubuntu was the way to go ...

I got opensuse here somewhere, will give it a go :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by HYBR|D View Post
    Ubuntu is a sissy OS, just grab a BSD, or Debian for that fact. We got a Suse boxen here at work that connected to the exchange pretty much with a default vanilla installation.

Why would you even run that glorified garbage in a production environment anyway??
    lol. Why, because it works out of the box? I think you are a sissy if you don't wire your own house, or build your own car. :-P

I like Ubuntu, because I can install it, and have it doing what I need it to in under an hour. But you can still configure the crap out of it if you so desire.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

HYBR|D
    Yikes didn't realise calling it a "Sissy OS" would get such a great reaction

anyhow i guess it does keep the usual fanboy's and sack riders busy while they point n click through an installer that holds there hand the whole way threw, i mean it was only a matter of time before a "sissi-fied" *nix distro hit the market for those that couldn't get slackware etc installed cause you couldn't just do your makeup, talk on your phone while randomly clicking that mouse all over the screen n presto you got yourself a bitchin *nix install, so now you gotta post bout it all over the interwebz cause your all l337 now cause you got that Linux..
    Reminds me of the Apple fanboys' how they always meantion "Hey i posting on my iPhone / iPad"

**** i shouldn't post here when i'm

heh. I was running Linux long before Ubuntu came out. And humans were using fire long before we had lighters... but I am not going to go out and rub two sticks together just because I want to feel hardcore.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Hey! What's wrong with Apple!?

-=Post was sent via Snuggle's Super Trendy and Cool iPad Touch=-

Quote Originally Posted by Cider View Post
    Hi guys,

Gore - trying to get ubuntu going here and only after installing it do I see that evolution has issues with exchange 2007

Is there any linux distro that isnt too hectic too use able to run with exchange and not have any issues?
    I actually was going to just say to use SUSE since they got it right already lol, but someone already said to use it.

I really don't know all the details, but I do know that out of the box, OpenSUSE, and SUSE in general, works REALLY well with Exchange, and a part of that might just be because Novell was smart enough to get Microsoft on board.

Which is amazing if you think about it, I mean seriously, which Linux company, has the balls to go to Microsoft, and not only get them on board, but actually got them to admit that in some situations, Windows Servers are NOT the answer?

Well, Novell did it. Like I said, I don't have all the info about what happened, but considering I'm buddies with their head of PR, and most of their teams, and from what I've heard, they basically have a deal with Microsoft now, where if one of their customers doesn't WANT Windows as the Server, just the desktops, they are going to start recommending that they use SUSE Linux instead of anything else.

So basically if you are a Microsoft customer, and have Unix Servers and don't want Windows on them, but you want it on the desktop, Microsoft will actually recommend SUSE Linux to you.... That's amazing!

I think also the fact that back in the day, before Novell, SUSE already had a product to do Exchange stuff. So they have had this issue done and worked out for a long time!

I STILL have one of my SUSE Catalogs from like almost 10 years ago or so, where they were selling things like that in it. It's awesome. To bad I didn't get in earlier, they also used to make their own Hardware. SUSE Hardware would have been awesome.

I've seen it but never owned any.

----------------------------------------

Westin I don't care if you like Ubuntu, or if you built your own car, but don't be telling me Ubuntu is so great with BOFH in the title (Kidding, of course, I hate Ubuntu, and Gentoo, but I don't really care if someone does like it).

------------------------
    Teddy Bear guy / Laundry product man -

You touch pads...LOL