Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
Hmmm..............that Cambodian Ubuntu looks OK............. couldn't get it to work, but it did give me a load of error messages...............that told me that the kid's HDD was hosed, as I had already suspected, but couldn't check because his DVD/CD is certainly dead, and there is no floppy drive.

See, that's why I don't ever give an opinion when someone asks me about that. I get a lot of PMs from members, like, a lot of them, asking for a hand, which, I don't mind obviously, I've helped a lot of people here with Linux, BSD, and Unix in general, and every once in a while, I'll get one asking me what I think about Ubuntu, or Gentoo, or Fedora, or Red Hat, and I almost always say the same thing basically, which is:

"If you try it out, and you like it, or it works for you, then great, but I personally do not like it, so I don't want to sour your decision with my personal opinion, and so I'd say give it a try, and if you like it, awesome, use what you like and what suits you, but if you don't, I recommend such and such".

That's more or less what I tell people.

I like SuSE, SUSE, Open SUSE, Slackware, Debian, most of Mandriva, FreeBSD, PC-BSD, and I'm starting to like MoonOS and Absolute. I also do like I-Slack / NetSecL, and I also like Vector Linux for the most part.

But those are opinions. I've been sort of testing ZevenOS too, because I miss BeOS